Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy!

Started by anderson5420, December 30, 2011, 05:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anderson5420

At Birch Bay, WA, just south of the Canadian border, for the long weekend!  A VERY windy day looking out over the bay to the San Juan Islands! Took this pic from my deck about noon today.

Just ordered my Bactoferm FRM-52 and protein lined fibrous casings for the next batch of dry cured Tuscan Salami, Ruhlman and Polcyn recipe.  This is absolutely the Anderson family's favorite! It takes a while, but is definitely worth it!  Will try to show the whole deal in pix. I have a dark, cool basement back in Fall City, not sure where I will hang the Tuscan when we move here permanently in two years.

Also just bought beef, pork, backfat and spices for a cooked salami, will make it tomorrow.  Here at Birch Bay I use the old (1995 vintage) Sausagemaker 20 lb smoke house, but now with the Ranco controller.  Also brought up a 5.5 lb butt, will do a batch of smoked Polish on Sunday!

What a way to spend a long weekend!
So many recipes, so little time!

Keymaster

Looks like a fun weekend. I used to go to Birch bay every memorial weekend and camp. Used to just walk out in the ocean at low tide and get my limit of Dungeoness crab. Grandparents used to own a condo there but they sold it.

anderson5420

Still a great place.

So, here's the deal - you can try mine if I can try yours!  Deal?

Quote from: Keymaster on December 30, 2011, 05:49:42 PM
Looks like a fun weekend. I used to go to Birch bay every memorial weekend and camp. Used to just walk out in the ocean at low tide and get my limit of Dungeoness crab. Grandparents used to own a condo there but they sold it.

beefmann

Quarlow

My wifes Aunt lives in Birchbay. My mom had a time share at Beachwood, may still have it. We will have to come visit you when you are there and we are too. Would love to meet another member of the forum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

anderson5420

Would it help you to know that I also am the founder and president of a brewery?  :)

Quote from: Quarlow on December 30, 2011, 06:02:02 PM
My wifes Aunt lives in Birchbay. My mom had a time share at Beachwood, may still have it. We will have to come visit you when you are there and we are too. Would love to meet another member of the forum.

Quarlow

Ok so what time do you go to bed. I can be there in about 30 minutes.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

anderson5420

Actually this is pathetic, but I would have to go to a store to buy some of my own beer!

However, I would be glad to do that...we are here until Monday, and I will PM you my cell if you would like to come down!

Quarlow

Damn, I have a rather busy long weekend. I doubt I could make it, You let me know when you are going to be up here again and I will make a date with ya.

OBS
BBQ

anderson5420

OK, will let you know about future plans to be up here!

Quote from: Quarlow on December 30, 2011, 06:18:27 PM
Damn, I have a rather busy long weekend. I doubt I could make it, You let me know when you are going to be up here again and I will make a date with ya.

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

anderson5420

What I did yesterday!

Beef and pork for cooked salami.

Spice mixture.

Ready to mix.

Backfat gets folded in after mixing.

Stuffed! 

In smokehouse.

The money shot!

anderson5420

Didn't take any pix, but this morning's canter was a 5 lb batch of Grandpa Jumbo's Smoked Polish.  Big problem, no decent knives here at Birch Bay, had a devil of a time getting the meat off the bone, need to fix that. The Maverick Meat Grinder (coarse plate) did a great job though and I should have five nice rings this afternoon!

anderson5420

Well, all good things must end!  My four day mini-vacation at Birch Bay comes to an end today, we are heading back to Fall City after lunch, and it's back to work tomorrow.

The cooked salami turned out great, tastes as good as it looks.

The Grandpa Jumbo's Polish was the best batch I have ever done, five nice rings, we'll have one for supper back in Fall City tonight.

The Ranco does a great job controlling the old Sausagemaker 20 lb. smoker that has lived in Birch Bay since I bought the Bradley OBS.  So I am well set with the Bradley OBS in Fall City and the Sausagemaker 20 lb smoker in Birch Bay, hauling the meat grinder, the stuffer, some casings, and the Ranco back and forth.

Patty tells me the next batch needs to be dry cured Tuscan salami, so i ordered my Bactoferm FRM-52 and protein lined fibrous casing from The Sausagemaker, Inc.  Also ordered a couple of spare feed screw gears for my Maverick MM-5501 meat grinder, may never need them but thought it would be prudent to have a spare or two.

Also got the grape arbor pruned and the raspberry canes topped and tied to the wire, so all in all, a good weekend!

Quarlow

If you need knives don't go out and buy any. Let me know and I will go threw my knive drawer. I have been meaninbg to weed it out for sometime now. I may not have all that you need but likely some. The price is right too. 1 Penny, it's an old superstition that you should never give someone a knife you must always sell it to them or they will cut themselves. Either that or the person who told me that was so cheap that they couldn't stand the thought of actually giving something away free. I should ask mom if she is that cheap. LOL

OBS
BBQ