smoking a 4 lb flat

Started by zkup, December 31, 2011, 07:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zkup

any ideas/tips on how to smoke these without drying them out?

GusRobin

low and slow.  About 225*, vent open. If it is trimmed you may want to put some bacon on it. Cook to IT of 185* then FTC for 1-2 hours.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

outdoorsfellar

I'm getting ready to do a 4 lb tomorrow. I do wish it was a bit bigger, hense more fat, but what I will do is foil it once it hits 160 to help keep it moist.

Consooger

How long did it take for this to be done? How did it turn out? I sent the Fiance to grab me a brisket, she came home with a 4.75 #er and I'm worried I'm going to dry it out as well. Don't wanna screw this up on my first attempt.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

TedEbear

Quote from: Consooger on February 26, 2012, 02:48:18 AM
I sent the Fiance to grab me a brisket, she came home with a 4.75 #er and I'm worried I'm going to dry it out as well. Don't wanna screw this up on my first attempt.

That was about the same size as the first brisket I smoked last weekend.  Mine turned out nice and tender and full of flavor.

I bought a vacuum-sealed "packer" brisket from Costco and left it in the fridge for almost two weeks.  Each day I flexed it several times and turned it over.  On the last two days prior to smoking I added a dry rub I found via a Google search here:  WTS Brisket

I smoked it with hickory for 3 hours and kept the chamber temp at 225*F until the meat temp reached 180*F.  I then did a FTC for 3 more hours with a bit of apple juice in the foil.  I would have sliced it at that point but it was 5:00 a.m. and I was too tired.

I put it in the fridge and when I woke up later that morning I reheated it in the oven at 250*F for two hours in foil with 2/3 cup apple juice and then sliced it.  It was fantastic, both tender and full of flavor.  I don't know if the apple juice made it that way or what but I hope I can repeat the results with a future brisket.