New cheese

Started by micman, December 31, 2011, 11:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micman

Today I made my first cheese, a formage blanc, if this turns out to work then it will be onto gouda and then into the smoker :)

Mick

GusRobin

No pictures, it didn't happen.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

micman

Geesh Gus, never thought someone would want a picture of milk curdling in a pot. So I took some of the cheese hanging with the whey dripping off. I got you an action shot, notice the little silver streak near the bottom of the picture, that's the whey departing the scene. Another 6 hours and I will be able to try it.  ;D

Mick

seemore

tell me more  about this cheese.  what kind is it
seemore

Keymaster

So thats what they use cheese cloth for ;D Nice job mic!!! Thats one of my next ventures is to try and make cheese :)

MidKnightRider

The name literally means "fresh cheese" in french"
So what's the taste like, texture?
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

micman

The actual name in english I believe is white cheese, but then again I am from the west coast so who knows. The texture is of a creamy cheese, it is apparently the easiest one to start out with. Once its made you can add herbs and spices or honey's and spices to it to get some kind of flavor into it. It is suppose to spread easy on crackers. Tomorrow I will try and add more pics when I get it from the Muslin cloth.
I got a book on cheese making off the net. Cheese making by Ricki Carroll.
Its gives you the beginnings of cheese making to the harder cheese to produce, an some history too. I believe you could probably get a light smoke into the cheese if you had a cold smoker, because it is suppose to be creamy it might be a little tense doing that. So tomorrow I will add finished product pics.

Mick

howlin

ah bonjour ,oui ,sons fromage blanc en francais.is white cheese in english
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

micman

Well I am home from night shift, the good wife took the cheese out of the muslin cloth and put it into terrines for me last night.The first pic is just the white cheese pulled from the pot and the second is a herb spice still in the pot, I tasted both the white is a little harder then a creamy texture, with a bit of a bland taste, on a vegetable thin cracker is was not to bad.The herb flavored cheese was pretty good and on the same cracker it was really good. I think the herb spice in the cheese may be the way to go. One more day with the herbs blending into the cheese and another taste test and I will let you know.

Mick

MidKnightRider

Looks good.
Let us know how it turns out.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Thermos Gas Grill
BBQ Evangelist

micman

Midnight the herb cheese turned out really well, the white cheese with little olive oil, poured on top and some fresh ground pepper on sea salt on top the white cheese was okay too. I guess this a first attempt at cheese was a pretty good sucess, :) now to start experimenting :o

Mick

MidKnightRider

I hope to get into cheese making in 2013.
Looks good.
I love most kinds of cheese.
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Thermos Gas Grill
BBQ Evangelist

chiroken

Looks good! Nice to see another local on the forum.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

viper125

Just what kind of herbs you talking about LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.