1st attempt at prime rib

Started by Richie Rod, December 31, 2011, 10:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie Rod

Got a slightly under 5# prime rib for New Years eve. Applied a rub of rosemary, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic. Oak smoke for a couple of hours @ 200*.
The warden likes hers darn near raw/rare - I hope that sounds right  :) So...I remove it from the Bradley at 120* and FTC for 1 hour. Not quite done for me, but she loved it! Nuked mine a little and I gotta say that oak put a whole new dimension on how we'll be havin' prime rib in the future.
Rich

P.S.
I was gonna post pics, but I don't happen to have the Kelloggs secret decoder ring for the insert image icon.  :(

In smoker

First slice

Ready to dig in
Bradley 4 rack digital
TBE
Weber Silver B

chiroken

Quote from: Richie Rod on December 31, 2011, 10:14:20 PM
P.S.
I was gonna post pics, but I don't happen to have the Kelloggs secret decoder ring for the insert image icon.  :(
You gotta upload the pics to a host site then paste the link into your text. When you post the image will magically appear!!!

I use Photobucket, it's free, easy to find on google, there are others out there too. Create your account and upload your pics to an album. Once the pic is in your album just put the cursor over the pic and a drop down box appears. Left click over the lowest line (it reads IMG code) and it automatically copies it. Then right click in your post and paste the link. Done!

This is what you will see if you've put in the link right, I've removed the IMG & /IMG codes that would have square brackets around them and would start and finish the actual link (or else you would see the pic and not the link here).

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/chiroken/Bradley/NewYearsPorkLoin004.jpg

The above is just a standard link to my photo on photobucket that will take you there if clicked.

With the IMG codes blanketing the above link you get the actual picture right in your link, here's my New Year's Eve dinner!

We now all expect pics of your creations!  ;)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Richie Rod

Thanks for the heads up! I'm using Picasa, but as you can see, all I get is the red X's. I'll keep trying.
Bradley 4 rack digital
TBE
Weber Silver B

Richie Rod

Hooray! I got my decoder ring. 8)
Bradley 4 rack digital
TBE
Weber Silver B

chiroken

Looks good, you got it!  ;D

Now go out and smoke something else...that smoker looks way to new/clean!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Richie Rod

Quote from: chiroken on January 02, 2012, 11:33:35 AM
Looks good, you got it!  ;D

Now go out and smoke something else...that smoker looks way to new/clean!

HaHa, I thought the same thing when I was looking at the pic.
Good thing the prime rib didn't taste like the 20# turkey I did for Christmas. When I first put it in thats all I could smell.
Bradley 4 rack digital
TBE
Weber Silver B

chiroken

was thinking of doing the turkey in the smoker (it's our "turn" this year to do the bird) but I "chickened" out and did it the old fashioned way (oven). will do a whole chicken in the next few wks to experiment 1st and make sure it turns out right, have never done a whole bird before, only bacon wrapped breasts (very tasty!).