Its Cod Roe Season

Started by Waltz, January 17, 2012, 10:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waltz

The fish shop I use had cod roe this week so I couldn't resist and got some pre-cooked to have for breakfast and two uncooked to smoke (and maybe have for breakfast too).

Brining in a solution of 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar and 4 cups water.

Out of brine and drying to form the pellicle. Not sure why they are different colours, anyone know?

After two hours oak smoke at 150F and another two hours at 160F to dry out properly.

Also made some maple coated pistachios to keep the roes company in the smoker.

Also made some lamb and pork sausages, but they are not cured or smoked so that is another story.

Should all be good eats>

mikecorn.1

Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

The Shad run up the Hudson River is coming soon; a few months away. I have always avoided shad roe, but after looking at your post I may venture to try it this year. Now besides warm weather, there is another reason to look forward to April.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Smoked cod roe is one of my all time favourites, unfortunately it is like gold dust to get hold of round here and we have to settle for the roe from other white fish.

QuoteNot sure why they are different colours, anyone know?

As far as I am aware the commonest reason for the difference in colour is that when the cod roe has been stored on ice for a while it loses colour compared to when it is very fresh.

Cod we catch ourselves can vary in colour depending on habitat, maybe habitat and diet also affects the colour of the roe?
Manxman

Waltz

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the colour difference; the paler one had a (very slight) 'muddy' flavour compared to the other. I have eaten most of it and it hasn't done me any harm but I suspect the difference in colour and taste may be due to diet and habitat as you suggest Manxman. I will get some more later this week to try out that theory.