The "rancid" flavor of the last puck.

Started by Oldman, May 19, 2004, 09:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

On another thread  the issue was raised concerning the "rancid" flavor that last puck would / could create.  I've given this thought and I would like to address it with everyone.  The below quote from the Bradley site is correct. I know others here have vast knowledge in smoking foods. Myself I have over forty years. I''ve used, purchased, and made just about every type of grill, pit, drum, and smoker you can think of, including a water-steamer-smoker that atomized the water.  If it is out there I've done it.  Well enough about my background.  I believe all here well accept that I have a small understanding concerning  this subject.

Before I address this worry about the last puck I will say I've seen some great smokers.  I also seen folks who created some of the nastiest smoke flavored foods I've ever had the mis-fortune to have tasted.  The difference is what the Bradley  quote is all about.  In the past you either understood the "taste of the smoke" or you did not.  You either understood how to control it or you didn't. The eating was the telling.  This is why great smokers where not found on every street corner.

Now why does the last puck not create this problem?  IMO it does, and if every single puck was allowed to burn completely then the Bradley would not be worth the cost of the power to run it.  However, this one puck is no where near enough to change, alter the taste or appearance of the foods.

I know we all have joked about my T-Shirt-Smoking.  Believe me there use to be a reason behind it.  I really don't need it with the Bradley.   I use it now for two reasons.  First, it holds in much moisture around the meat. Next, that moisture becomes a sweet mild smoked flavoring. Is sweet smoking not what this is all about? When the smoking is done, even if the shirt is dry, I can wet it again, and leave it wrapped around the meat.  This enhances the smoke flavor and allows for an extended time for that smoke to go completely through the meat.  Especially if you are doing a 15 pound ham.  In the case of a ham, once it is room temp. I wrap it and T-shirt in plastic and place into the refrig. for a few days.  Oh one more reason. I believe smoke should be used like salt and pepper. They enhance, not own the eating.

IMO there is nothing better than having a mild sweet smoke flavor through out the meat, while at the same time allowing for the natural flavor of the meat to still be enjoyed.

If you have not tried the "T-Shirt" give it a shot. Add nothing to the outside of the meat. No salts, sugars or whatever. Don't even cure the meat. Try a butt. What you got to lose? One piece of meat? On the other hand it just might open up a new door for ya. As a yard stick I smoke my butts at least 7 or 8 hours.  I allow them after that to continue to cook until they reach a temp of 170F. I never allow my cooking temp. to exceed that of boiling water. At that temp. and greater you begin to get shrinkage. Items begin to get tough. Half way through I turn them upside down.

Personally I don't pull. I rather slice real thin pieces for a great sandwich, or to roll up and place on a meat and cheese platter.

The quote:<b>

When wood burns the smoke flavor is produced in the initial minutes of the burn. Once the wood generates enough heat to keep burning on its own, it yields high temperatures, acids, resins and gases. These will distort the flavor and the appearance of smoked food. When wood burns to this stage there is no control over the cooking conditions. With Bradley flavor Bisquettes the guesswork is eliminated.

Not only do Bradley flavor Bisquettes eliminate unwanted heat, smoke produced the Bradley way is four times cleaner than smoke produced by identical loose chips burned in a fry-pan or burn-box.</b>
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

kboyer

I found at a web store "Bubba" something in Iowa the solution - they sell 2 solid aluminum pucks exactly the same size as the biskets that you put into the feed tube as the last 2 pieces. They feed in and cause the last bisket to drop into the water after 20 minutes just as required. Don't have the address anymore but I was following Bradley Smoker links.

Probably any metal fabricator could cut a couple off aluminum billet for a couple of bucks - just take in a bisket & ask.

kboyer

Just found the place - it's chez Bubba. com. Great place.

Last Mrk

Isn't ChezBubba our friendly moderator on this forum?

Cold Smoke

Oldman

Hey don't laugh too much at the new guy.... *Olds is holding in his sides*

Welcome to the forums kboyer! Gigging back is allowed [:D]
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

msiler

The aluminum puck is a great idea, however unless you use 3 fake pucks the last wood puck stays on the burner. I personally use 3 myself, mostly to extingiush the last puck so there is not a pile of ash waiting blow around on all my food when I open the door.

But really we are quite a picky bunch, we seem to have forgotten how far from perfection our previous methods were.

When in doubt smoke it.

Chez Bubba

Welcome to the forum kboyer. Thanks you for the compliments.[:)]

BTW, it's Indiana[;)][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by msiler</i>
<br />The aluminum puck is a great idea, however unless you use 3 fake pucks the last wood puck stays on the burner. I personally use 3 myself, mostly to extingiush the last puck so there is not a pile of ash waiting blow around on all my food when I open the door.

But really we are quite a picky bunch, we seem to have forgotten how far from perfection our previous methods were.

When in doubt smoke it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I was thinking about doing this, but was concerned that the aluminum puck would overheat the heating pad. Have you had any problems with the aluminum puck staying on the heating pad?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

The aluminum pucks never make it to the bisquette burner. They only push the wood bisquettes onto it. Wood, aluminum, regardless, the last two pucks you load into the feeder never see the burner.

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

Hi Kirk,

This is Mike, the guy who couldn't get your shopping chart to work on my computer. Thanks for the prompt shipment. I still haven't found out what's the problem. If there are any geeks out there that can help me out. I'm using Windows XP Pro and connecting to the internet with IE 6. It doesn't appear to be a cookie or Java problem.

Anyway, about the aluminum pucks. What I was thinking of doing was to place a wood puck on top of the two aluminum disks. This would advance one of the aluminum pucks on to the heating pad, and push the last burnt wood puck off. If that aluminum puck is resting on the heating pad for any length of time, would that cause any problems to the heating pad itself or any other part(s) of the BS.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry, I didn't mean to get so far off the topic, but I figured out the problem I was having with Kirk's shopping chart, and thought I'd let everyone know. Kirk, I sent you an e-mail about the problems with Windows XP and Java.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

msiler

I have had no problems at all with the heater. actually quite the opossite. before I started useing three pucks I would have to scrub the element with a wire brush to remove residual stuff from the last biscuit after 4-5 smokes. now it stays real clean.

When in doubt smoke it.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the information. I'll rig it up so that aluminum puck pushes the last wood one into the drip bowl.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Chez Bubba

Mike & Martin,

Interesting thought, I'll give it a try on my next smoke. I have been doing the wire brush thing too, although it hasn't been too hard. I like the idea of using a wood puck last because they're much cheaper than the metal ones.

I can't imagine there would be a problem with having the aluminum on sitting on the heater, as long as you don't want to pick it up for a while.[;)] I just might have to do a little testing to see how hot it would actually get. (I know it's not going to melt or anything, just curious.)

Kirk