FRESH Minnesota caught ice fishing Crappie smoker recipe recomendations

Started by Muskie Man, January 02, 2012, 06:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muskie Man

Hello from Minnesota, I am new to my new Bradley BTIS1 smoker (Christmas Gift) but am most interested in any recomendations for smoking several (20) fresh caught crappie (12 inch in length). I have these frozen whole with the skin and scales in tact, fully cleaned with all fins removed and heads cut off and gutted. I was instructed to use salt brine solution before smoking. any recomendations or direction to recipe file would be most helpful.

Happy "NEW YEAR" and thanks!!!!

KyNola

Try here. www.susanminor.org It is a recipe website developed by and for Bradley owners.  The recipes are written for using the Bradley.

viper125

I love Crappie! But think i'd go easy on spices. Never smoked them,Yet! But they are so light in flavor and little oil you may over power them. But I am sure you come to the right place. I bet some one here has and will help.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

kickedback

I was planning on smoking some Crappies this winter, but no hardwater  in lower Michigan yet. I'm jealous. Keep us posted on what recipe works out for you. Enjoy.

watchdog56

HI Muskie Man, Minnesotan here also (Inver Grove Hts). I have smoked crappies and other fish for years using just canning salt,liquid smoke and brown sugar brine.

If you let me know where you got those crappies I can share my recipe ;D ;D lol

No just kidding, here it is
2 gal water
1/4 bag of canning salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 bottles of liquid smoke.
Mix salt in until it dissolves then put a raw egg(in the shell) in it and when it sinks to the bottom and slowly floats back up that is enough water/salt mixture, if it comes up fast you may need more salt.
Soak for 12 hours and then take out of brine and let pellicle  form(slight gloss coating on fish)
Put in smoker at 120 for 1 hour then 140 for a couple of hours then 160-170 until fish is firm and flakey.