Turkey sticks

Started by watchdog56, January 02, 2012, 09:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Well my daughter wanted turkey sticks so found this recipe and with some help from Nepas they turned out pretty good. I think they taste a little better with the casing off and have not tried it yet but may be good fried up also. Here is my recipe;
Dec 31 2011. Made turkey sticks. Outside temp was 34. Preheated smoke to 160 for 1 hour then down to 130 for 1 hour then to 150 for 2 hours and 160 for 1 hour then 170 until IT hit 160. Mixed meat up night before and put in casings then into frig.Smoked using cherry wood. Took out after 4 1/2 hours and temp was 147. Put in hot water bath until IT hit 160 then ice bathed. Took about 15 minutes to get to 160. Had plenty of flavor but it was better out of the casing.
Used 2 1/2 lbs lean(93/7) ground turkey and 1 lb ground pork butt.
2 1/2 tsp  minced garlic
5 Tbsp    parsley
2 Tbsp    basil
1 small onion minced
1 /4 cup grated parmesian cheese
2 tsp       crushed fennel seed
2 tsp       black pepper
1 1/2 tsp  kosher salt
5 Tbsp    olive oil
.12 oz     cure #1
1/4 cup   distilled water

ghost9mm

Never made turkey stixs, but yours look real good, I just may have to give them a try...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

devo

Never heard of turkey sticks before but they sure do look good

HUSKERSMOKE

Watchdog, thanks for the recipe. The wife saw this the other night and said I needed to make them. So I did them over the weekend. Huge hit with her and the kids. I'll admit I even liked them.

watchdog56

Glad to hear it. I put one in a pan like a breakfast sausage link and fried it up like that and I thought it was probably better that way.