Cured salmon - not cooked or smoked

Started by Foodie, January 05, 2012, 01:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foodie

Argghhh! Just posted the whole recipe and photobucket caused a computer melt down and I lost the lot....grrr...

Anyway - I just play around with a half salt, half sugar base and then add stuff to this.

My recipe is the above plus pulverised: kaffir lime leaves, lemon and orange rind, lemon grass, star anise and coriander. But u could use anything really...

Pack the salmon pieces in this - cure in fridge for 24hrs, wash cure off well, then slice away....
I serve mine on an apple salad with an asian dressing.
Must be eaten within 24hrs of rinsing.....

Will post pics separately...

Foodie

This is the salmon curing (and making it's own brine)

This is the rinsed end-product and the slices - ready for further use

If anyone interested in specifics I can post. It's really yummy. I just play around with the herbs etc and make up what I like  :)

Habanero Smoker

I would be interested in the recipe. Over here I would call that a gravlax recipe; which if you wanted, can be cold smoked as an option.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Foodie

Ok - but it's my own recipe and I don't do measurements when I cook - sorry!

That's 3 pieces of (farmed  :() salmon weighing just over 1/2kg (1lb?)

I used roughly 400grm salt, 400gm sugar

Minced in the blender:
8 kaffir lime leaves
1 very large trimmed lemongrass stalk
1/2 bunch whole coriander (cilantro?)
5 whole star anise (thru the coffee grinder 1st)
the zest of 2 oranges and 1 lemon (or 2 limes)

Mix up the salt/sugar with the blended/minced ingredients.
Pack around the salmon pieces (skin off) top and bottom - cover and refigerate 24hrs - turning at around 12hrs.

Then rinse well. Pat dry and slice. Use within 24hrs.

Asian apple salad:
bring to the boil and then simmer to dissolve sugar only:
2 chopped garlic cloves
4cm piece ginger - chopped
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp sake (or rice wine)
2 Tbsp Mirin

Cool and then strain. Then whisk in:

4 Tbsp olive oil (or more if u like)
1 tsp sesame oil
Juice of 1 lime (or lemon)

(lovely dressing by the way! From Master chef Aust...)

Juilienne 1.5 granny smith apples (green or tart apples) arrange on plate - spread some dressing to taste - layer over some slamon slices (about one of those pieces) sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and coriander (and I sometimes use fine slices of nori seweed) and serve. (u can play with the apple/salmon ratio)

Add salt to personal taste (not soy) - depending on how well u have rinsed - u may need some normal salt (I am a salty girl but others aren't)

Foodie

(PS: Hubby and I look forward to the day when we can get to Canada and try real Wild salmon! (and check out the environment too, of course)

We have never seen nor tasted the real thing (excpet from a can) and we are keen fisher folk here too...

They are freshwater farming our iconic Barramundi here - and it tastes pretty crap to be honest...it's the same with prawns too....wild caught Australian ocean prawns are divine compared with the farmed rubbish coming out of Asia...(have also seen how they grow their prawns and it's pretty awful really...) but money talks I guess...  :(

Foodie

I am thinkng of doing this in an Spanish/Portugese style next time..?
Smoked paprika, fresh oregano and thyme, lemon, chilli and some smoked tomatoes and/or capsicum. Hmnnn..yum..food..yumm...  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the recipes, I'm definately going to try this.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

fjp110

KyNola

In my opinion no.  Habs was right the first time.  It's a gravlax.  The curing agent is salt and sugar.  Everything else in the recipe is flavoring.  Ceviche is technically "cooked" by an acid from something like fresh lime or lemon juice.

Gravlax will last longer than 24 hours. ;)