Recommendations regarding vacuum sealers?

Started by pmmpete, January 03, 2012, 03:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmmpete

I need to buy a vacuum sealer.  I want a decent home-grade sealer, not a commercial sealer.  What brands and models do you recommend, or not recommend?  What features should I look for or avoid?  Are rolls and/or bags available cheaply in bulk, ideally at a local store to avoid inconvenience and shipping costs?  How much flexibility do they have in the size of the bags they produce?  Do you know of any good articles or comparative reviews of sealers?

beefmann

do a google search for top rated food sealers and  see the different options,

I have the food saver v3485 and like it alot, been using it about a year now  with no problems,  I prefer to go with rolls over bags this way i can get the size i need rather then being limited to a quart  or gallon size when all i need is whats in the middle.

mikecorn.1

Foodsaver. Rolls. Ditto on above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

La Quinta

DisplacedCoonass

I'm going to make my recommendation AGAINST any Foodsaver model that involves the machine having it's own automatic sealer "door" (sorry, can't think of a better term).  The two models of FoodSavers mentioned both have a bar that drops down to form the seal once you insert the bag.  One side of mine has ceased to move up and down so I can no longer get a seal.  FoodSaver's response is that they don't do repairs and I'm no longer covered by warranty.  I liked my FoodSaver, I like the marinate functions, and I liked the canister storage for certain items.  I really dislike that what I'm fairly certain probably amounts to a small plastic gear has taken my machine and made it an almost useless paperweight.

While I have no direct experience with one of the clamshell manual models in the past 3+yrs, I would recommend one of those.  More time intensive but less moving parts to break.

La Quinta

Intersting...I use it probably 3-4 times a week and never had an issue...I make big bags for cheese...open them to eat some then reseal in the same "bag" but I never looked inside except if I gunk up the seal to clean it...so...don't know... :-\

RFT

I would recommend an Oliso Frisper... I just got mine a couple weeks ago and I love it.  Seals nicely and IMO is way better then any foodsaver I have owned.

Check this thread out I put up a couple weeks ago..I also added a quick Vid of it in action in the other thread.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=26112.0
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

3rensho

I've got a la.va premium 200 and it is great.  No problems in 3-4-years.  Will do rolls or bags and bags come in many, many sizes.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Schoon

I have a FoodSaver Game Saver Deluxe Plus and am very pleased with it.  I purchased it a few months ago and have since butchered and sealed 4 deer with it.  It does an amazing job on dry products and smoked products (like summer sausage, etc.).  With moist or wet products it does a good job, but I think it could be a little better.  Overall, it's a good unit for the price.  I haven't had one seal leak yet.

As for bulk bags, the best place I could find was Sorbent Systems.  They make what they call "special surface" bags that work with Food Saver style vacuum sealers.  I find them to be of at least equal quality to food saver bags and they are way cheaper.  The only down side is you have to order at least 500 quart-size bags or 300 gallon size bags.  If you go in with one or two other guys and get 1000 quart bags they come out to less than 20 cents per bag.  Here's the link:

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/specialsurfacebags.html

Hope this helps!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Schoon on January 04, 2012, 11:41:48 AM
I have a FoodSaver Game Saver Deluxe Plus and am very pleased with it.  I purchased it a few months ago and have since butchered and sealed 4 deer with it.  It does an amazing job on dry products and smoked products (like summer sausage, etc.).  With moist or wet products it does a good job, but I think it could be a little better.  Overall, it's a good unit for the price.  I haven't had one seal leak yet.

As for bulk bags, the best place I could find was Sorbent Systems.  They make what they call "special surface" bags that work with Food Saver style vacuum sealers.  I find them to be of at least equal quality to food saver bags and they are way cheaper.  The only down side is you have to order at least 500 quart-size bags or 300 gallon size bags.  If you go in with one or two other guys and get 1000 quart bags they come out to less than 20 cents per bag.  Here's the link:

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/specialsurfacebags.html

Hope this helps!
I emailed the sales dept and they are sending me some sample bags to try in my FoodSaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Smokeville

Quote from: La Quinta on January 04, 2012, 12:07:33 AM
We have the Foodsaver v3840...love it...

V3840 amazing. Bought it from Costco. Burned it out from heavy use. Costco now carries the V3820 which is exceptionally poor. I returned the 1st one I bought but the 2nd is an identically bad performer.

unclebuck

I have had Cabela's CG15 for 5 years now.  We have used it a lot, vac sealing beef, pork, fowl, moose, deer, fish, pasta etc.  There has not been a minute's trouble.  The biggest drawback is the price of the bags, but overall, the savings realized from not having freezer burned meat is worth the expense.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Smokeville

Quote from: unclebuck on January 29, 2012, 04:42:03 AM
I have had Cabela's CG15 for 5 years now.  We have used it a lot, vac sealing beef, pork, fowl, moose, deer, fish, pasta etc.  There has not been a minute's trouble.  The biggest drawback is the price of the bags, but overall, the savings realized from not having freezer burned meat is worth the expense.

Hi Unclebuck;

That model is identical to the Weston Pro-2100 which I have my eye on. The warning from users seems to be that foodsaver bags or bags from other manufacturors don't always seal properly. Have you found that to be true? I have a huge supply of bags that I get at a great price and I can't afford to not be able to use them.

Thanks, Rich

manxman

Must admit I am not a great Foodsaver fan but to be fair this is based on only ever owing one but it did put me off every buying them again.

Now use:

www.facem.com/en/index.php

Proved to be much more robust despite heavy use, they also make very good grinders and stuffers.

Made in Italy, not sure if they will be available on the other side of the pond?
Manxman