How many teaspoons in an ounce of cure

Started by nodak, January 15, 2006, 04:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

Could anyone please tell me how many teaspoons in an ounce of fast cure.  Trying to break down some mix to some experimenting and my scale doesn't go into ounces very good.  Hmmm one more investment I'll have to make[:D].

Thanks.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

jaeger

nodak,
I don't know if this is any help but, 1 ounce equals 28.35grams. There is an AWESOME weights and measures converter on Olds recipe site.
The digital scale that I have weighs in both ounces and grams. I find it more accurate measuring in grams, especially cures.
It appears that you are getting ready to start some sausage. Good luck!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

JVR

Nodak,
the teaspoon is a volumetric measuring device.  It is equal to 5 mL (mL=milliliter).  A fluid ounce is 29.57 mL.  If you want to determine how many may teaspoons it will take to hold a weight ounce of your cure, you need to know its density.

Jaeger, an avoirdupois ounce equals 28.35 grams while an apothecary ounce equals 31.1 grams.

I've been studying for trivial pursuit...[;)]

nodak

I was trying to shortcut to make a bunch of small different batches of sausage, but ended up no matter as something came up so made one medium batch same. I need to get a small scale so I can do some experimenting.

Thanks for the help. I should know better than come with an idea on the fly without planning it out first, my luck[B)] is something always gets in the way.  But what I did turned out excellent.  Had a small batch left to smoke yet that didn't fit in, so doing it tonight, hope they turn out as well.  I think the wife was impressed, considering Saturday nights butt was only good, not fabulous like last time.  Unfortunately took it over to in-laws for supper was hoping it would be as good as my first[:(].

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

nodak

I was trying to shortcut to make a bunch of small different batches of sausage, but ended up no matter as something came up so made one medium batch same. I need to get a small scale so I can do some experimenting.

Thanks for the help. I should know better than come with an idea on the fly without planning it out first, my luck[B)] is something always gets in the way.  But what I did turned out excellent.  Had a small batch left to smoke yet that didn't fit in, so doing it tonight, hope they turn out as well.  I think the wife was impressed, considering Saturday nights butt was only good, not fabulous like last time.  Unfortunately took it over to in-laws for supper was hoping it would be as good as my first[:(].

iceman

A powder scale for reloading works good for small experimental batches of spice.[:D]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iceman</i>
<br />A powder scale for reloading works good for small experimental batches of spice.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But then you would need a grains to ounces conversion no?

Nodak, if this is tenderquik, I have the conversion at home, and in fact I think I posted it under my smoked porkchop thread.  If its tenderquik let me know and I will repost.  I had the same issue as you before getting a digital scale.  What I did was measure out the whole bag to get volume, and coverted it based on the package weight of the bag it came in.  Will only work if you start with a fresh new package of your cure, but once you do it, write down your results in your recipe book and you'll have it for life.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.