To Build or Buy

Started by Islandboy, January 04, 2012, 12:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandboy

Wanted to know what would be the better way of doing a cold smoke adaptor. should i buy the bradley one for $75.95 or build my own. thanks for your help

TomW

You'll have to decide for yourself, but the aluminum 'hose' that comes with the $79 one is krap....(IMHO) so a box and a piece of hose...

Tom
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

Habanero Smoker

If you have the digital the good thing is that is come with a temperature sensor wire bypass, so you are set to go when it arrives; and/or if you are going to make it a permanent setup then it is also a good buy. But as mentioned the 5" hose that come with it will not withstand too much setup and take down, the box itself is small so if you want to use a hot plate to smoke different wood chips it's hard to find a hot plate that will fit inside the box.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Islandboy

i have a digital 6 rack, the cold smoke unit will be mostly for cheese.

Habanero Smoker

With the digital models, if you build you will need a bypass plug. I'm not sure if Bradley sells them as replacement parts. If you are going to make your own, if you do a search for "bypass plug" by member Pensrock you will find instructions on how to make your own.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Islandboy

Thanks for the help. I will look into the bypass plug and make my decision

anderson5420

I am late to this party, but I have read quite a few threads old and new on building a cold smoker box in the last couple of days using cardboard boxes, mailboxes, wood, steel hydraulic tanks or whatever. Cold smoking is one of the reasons I bought the Bradley, and I was really disappointed to see how much heat the smoke generator put in the cabinet, it was hardly "cold"!

I started looking around the basement tonight and found a metal file box, it had some really interesting papers in it, like our Peace Corps separation letter from 1970, so that kind of dates the box! It is 10" wide by 12.5" long and 10" tall. The papers are all in a folder now, and I have marked the box for jig saw cuts, maybe tomorrow. Some black BBQ paint, the dryer vent hose to buy tomorrow, and hopefully I will be in business. I have an OBS, so nothing fancy or complicated in operation, I will probably leave it set up all the time for hot as well as cold smoking, with cabinet temp controlled by my Ranco ETC 111000-000 controller. I will probably also set it up with a hot plate and pan for using moistened sawdust as well, sine I have a pretty good supply of various flavors from my prior smoker.

I am absolutely not handy, so this won't be a work of art, all I want is for it to work! I will try to take some pix though.

So many recipes, so little time!

pensrock

watchdog56

I built a cardboard box and dryer vent hose for my cold smoke and it has worked great for over a year now. Brought my sensor plug into radio shack and they hooked me up for about $20 Got a longer cord with it.

cathouse willy

I spent the $80 for the Bradley unit. I thought about the cardboard box but the possible fire issues pooched that idea. If you can afford it the Bradley unit works very well.Ive not had any troubles with the alum hose and the local lumber yard stocks it for cheap.

Islandboy

Thanks for the help, I will let you know what i end up doing and how it works out

Indy Smoker

I went with the Bradley adapter.  I like the 'professional' look of the box rather than a cardboard box, mailbox, etc.  Plus its just always sittin' there sayin' what about me? . . . . .what about me?   tempting me to try something new without the risk of burning down the house.

kickedback

Islandboy

Got a surprize in the mail today my girlfriend ordered the bradley cold smoke adapter for my birthday, havent got it set up yet hope to this weekend. The hose looks good no different than one from a hardware store maybe a bit stronger. When i get it set up i will post some pics and let you know how it works.

thanks for the help

slowpoke

Just a thought.If you want Cooolllllddddd smoke.Add a haif bag of ice to your drip tray.Yes it's a little messy,but it works great.I got this idea from another OBS.My cold smoked salmon LOX(Thank you H.S.) turns out perfect everytime. Using the cold smoke adapter and ice my inside temp.is kept around 70f.and the outside temp. is 80f.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.