Pull Behind Pig Cooker with the Smoke Generator Help

Started by VASmoker, January 04, 2012, 03:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VASmoker

I have installed a new smoke generator (SG) to my pull behind pig cooker.  The area of the pig cooker is roughly 40 CF (about 5'x4'x2'). I have the SG connected to the adapter box, and then piped with the supplied aluminum duct which is connected to the pig cooker.  I allowed the SG to preheat about 25 minutes and the temperature outside was about 65 degrees.  As I advanced the first puck onto the burner plate, smoke did start generating and the later on the second puck was advanced.  It wasn't what I was expecting, and I know when you open the door of the adapter box it is full of smoke but the smoke is making it into the pig cooker but just not enough to fill the entire pig cooker.  So now I have installed a 2 inch cooling fan (like those for computers) which will generate about 11cfm which hopefully is enough to move most of the smoke continuously from the adapter box into the pig cooker.  I have taking into consideration that the 3 vent on the pig cooker is allowing most of the smoke to escape, especially when you have two large long burners producing high BTUs into the cooking area.  Has anyone connected a SG to a pig cooker and had a good experience with the smoke flavor or am I expecting too much from the SG due to the large cooking area.  I haven't actually cooked a pig on the cooker since I have installed the SG, so maybe I am just jumping the gun and getting paranoid.  Any help or advise would be great?.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: VASmoker on January 04, 2012, 03:32:29 PM
I have installed a new smoke generator (SG) to my pull behind pig cooker.  The area of the pig cooker is roughly 40 CF (about 5'x4'x2'). I have the SG connected to the adapter box, and then piped with the supplied aluminum duct which is connected to the pig cooker.  I allowed the SG to preheat about 25 minutes and the temperature outside was about 65 degrees.  As I advanced the first puck onto the burner plate, smoke did start generating and the later on the second puck was advanced.  It wasn't what I was expecting, and I know when you open the door of the adapter box it is full of smoke but the smoke is making it into the pig cooker but just not enough to fill the entire pig cooker.  So now I have installed a 2 inch cooling fan (like those for computers) which will generate about 11cfm which hopefully is enough to move most of the smoke continuously from the adapter box into the pig cooker.  I have taking into consideration that the 3 vent on the pig cooker is allowing most of the smoke to escape, especially when you have two large long burners producing high BTUs into the cooking area.  Has anyone connected a SG to a pig cooker and had a good experience with the smoke flavor or am I expecting too much from the SG due to the large cooking area.  I haven't actually cooked a pig on the cooker since I have installed the SG, so maybe I am just jumping the gun and getting paranoid.  Any help or advise would be great?.

How bouts some pics so some the handy members can see.

mikecorn.1

Man that looks amaaaz.....  Oh, wait a minute. Theres no pics. :D 8) :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

VASmoker

I'll provide the attachment setup tomorrow.  Meanwhile here is a picture of the smoker from our last cookout and also a picture of the smoker without the Smoke Generator.  Again, I will provide the SG attachment tomorrow.

squirtthecat

DANG!   Nice rig..

Frankly, I don't see any way a Bradley smoke gen could keep that thing full of smoke..  The smoke must just fly by and up/out those top vents. 

KyNola

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 04, 2012, 06:26:57 PM
Frankly, I don't see any way a Bradley smoke gen could keep that thing full of smoke..  The smoke must just fly by and up/out those top vents.
100% agree with STC on this.  And beyond what STC said, what is your primary heating fuel source? I see propane tanks.  Are you using propane, charcoal or some sort of wood as your primary heating/cooking source?

Just read your original post again and it appears your heat source is propane. If that is true and you're trying to smoke a whole hog you are going to need a bigger source of smoke than one Bradley smoke generator.

One more question, how many BTU's is that thing pumping out?  Most whole hogs cookers around here go low and slow but you talked about two long burners pumping out high BTU's.  Seems like that would be more along the lines of a whole hog roaster.

If you supply us with more information we may be able to help you out.

NePaSmoKer

Have to agree. Dont think a SG will give you what your needing

You would need some sort of off set smoke box.

mikecorn.1

Mike