Canadian Bacon

Started by snapper39, May 20, 2004, 02:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapper39

Just finished curing an entire loin. I injected to 10% and then soaked in brine for 8 days. It is awesome just a tad salty. Half I will roll in cornmeal for official Canadian Peameal bacon and the other half I will smoke this weekend for Canadian bacon. Can't wait
Has anyone had any experience injection brining and smoking?
Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

MallardWacker

Snap,

I have only done ny loins without injection.  Came out fine, just enough salt flavor.  Used maple sugar cure and maple pucks.  Now the corn meal thing is what I am interested in.  What do you do?  Just roll the loin in corn meal then smoke it?  Very interesting.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

My understanding is that you roll it in meal after smoking, prior to packaging. But then again, I have no real experience so I will certainly yield to the experts.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

Actually in "Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing", Canadian bacon is smoked, and Peameal Canadian is cured the same way but rolled in cornmeal and not smoked.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

snapper39

You got it, Canadian bacon is smoked and not rolled in corn meal.
Pea Meal is cured the same way but not smoked. In days of old they actually use to roll in dried smashed peas, hence peameal. Smashed peas are not quite so readily available so they are rolled in corn meal instead. I think it just helps absorb some of the moisture and provides a crust. This is a real main stay of the Ontario diet. I must say if there is any one item that is uniquely Canadian (Ontario) it would be peameal bacon. Sliced and BBQ'd on a bun with mayo and tomatoe WOW (I like hot peppers as well), I could eat it every day. My sister will BBQ the entire loin witout slicing. Can't wait the entire familly is getting together next weekend for an annual fishing trip and I will be bringing buck board bacon, peameal bacon and sausage, all of which these little hands made. I'm sure they'll be impressed.

Snap

BrentK

Snap,

As close to the border as I am I'll have to try the Peameal Bacon.  I have the basics for making it....but can you give me any good ideas on how to prepare it once I'm done[?][?]

Have a GREAT day[8D][8D]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snapper39</i>
<br />This is a real main stay of the Ontario diet. I must say if there is any one item that is uniquely Canadian (Ontario) it would be peameal bacon.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Heck, all these years I was thinking it was Elsinore beer, krullers & smokes.[:D][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

snapper39

hey hey easy on the smokes and beer  EH?
I have two more loins in brine in the fridge as we speak.
One I will smoke, the other I will wash and soak in water when complete, dry for about an hour and then roll in corn meal.
Some I will slice 1/4 inch and BBQ to put on a bun with Mayo tomatoe and hot peppers. Some I will slice a little thinner to fry with eggs and the rest I will make little roast out of and cook on the BBQ.
I am having a hard time keeping up with the familly demands (I mean my familly stealin all I make) Cant complain though my brother is a food broker and I get the whole loins from him for about 1.50 per pound.
SNap

Swadly

Ok we love Canadian bacon so I have to give this a shot.
Mallard you say you use a maple cure. Do you have a recipe?
How long do you cure the loin and how long is it smoked?[:D]

Well I will brew a few ales and wait for the answers?

Thanks

Swadly

MallardWacker

Swad dude,

I buy my maple cure from Butcher-Packer, here is the link:
http://www.butcher-packer.com/pg_curing.htm

This is a great place to but anything like TenderQuick or curing stuff.  They also have a great deal on knifes also.  I believe a few of us from the forum have ordered from them with no problems.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Swadly

How long do you cure the Canadian Bacon.

Swadly

MallardWacker

Swadly,

I use the BuckBoard Bacon directions for my baseline.  However when you put on your cure-use only the amount the directions say to use.  More is not better in this case.  Typically you will have to way out the amount of cure to the weight of the meat.  About the time, BBB says to cure it for 14 days and turn the meat half way through, I think that should be you minimum.  I usually go for about 28 days, a little more intence flavor especially with the maple cure, it's flavoring is not as strong as the BBB.  HTH let us know if we can help with anything else.

When you buy your cure from Butcher-Packer, the directions on weight is on the web site from the page you ordered it from.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Fuzzybear

Hey bacon boys, am curious...........

Has anyone put the stuff in a "Tilia food saver"?  I'm thinking that the marinade might infuse faster???

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Swadly

Mallard

I ordered the maple cure from that site. Is this a dry cure or a brine type?

Swadly

MallardWacker

Swadly,

It will come as light brown salt type stuff.  It is a dry rub, you got enough there to do heck of alot of meat.  When you get to the point of putting the cure on the meat.  Make sure you measure it. It will seam like it isn't enough, let me tell you it is.  It isn't butt or rib rub here.  I usually rub it in with my hands really well and try and get an even coat over the meat.  If you get a whole loin, it works well for me if I cut it up in three even pieces.  Also make sure your fridge is not colder than 40-42 degrees, if you get it too cold it stops the curing process.  I use those semi-throw away containers from ZipLock I find at WallyWorld.  They reall work well for this.  HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas