Canadian Bacon

Started by snapper39, May 20, 2004, 02:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swadly

[:)]Purchased the pork today and the cure should be here in the morning. Heres to good Canadian Bacon. Mallard thanks for the assistance.

Swadly

Cold Smoke

That's a good question Fuzz- I just got myself one of those. Ten to fifteen days is a loooong wait.

Cold Smoke

Swadly

Swadly

Mallard
 The  rub said 1/2 lb per 25 lb meat. Does that sound right? Thats not mutch cure!

Thanks
Swadly

MallardWacker

Swadly,

Sorry it took so long, the board is crapping out and it's a bit hard to keep up.

I know that doesn't sound like much BUT it is, <font color="red"><b><u>this ain't butt rub here</u></b></font id="red">-it's curing agent/salt.  That amount is fine.  Take your time and rub it in well and coat the outside of the meat.  In a few days you will see a slight tinged brown fluid in the bottom of your container, you know it's working-don't drain this off.

Keep us informed, it you want to email me direct-thats fine.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

What temperature are you guys smoking at[?]
About how long has it been taking to reach temp[?]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

White,

I don't have my list of temps here at the office, I'l bring them next time.  All I do is duplicate BBB for what ever bacon I make, it seems to work well, doesn't dry out-good smoke flovor.  The only thing I'm am modifing is the finish temp, I am starting to be at about 155, so I am sure I can eat it any time after smoking..

Have a good weekend.  Whats the weather?  94 and about the same humidity.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

curttate

Is "BuckBoard Bacon" the same as Maple Cure? Are the directions for using maple cure that is sold by Butcher-Packer your baseline for "Buckboard Bacon[?]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Swadly,

I use the BuckBoard Bacon directions for my baseline.  However when you put on your cure-use only the amount the directions say to use.  More is not better in this case.  Typically you will have to way out the amount of cure to the weight of the meat.  About the time, BBB says to cure it for 14 days and turn the meat half way through, I think that should be you minimum.  I usually go for about 28 days, a little more intence flavor especially with the maple cure, it's flavoring is not as strong as the BBB.  HTH let us know if we can help with anything else.

When you buy your cure from Butcher-Packer, the directions on weight is on the web site from the page you ordered it from.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

curttate

Is "BuckBoard Bacon" the same as Maple Cure? Are the directions for using maple cure that is sold by Butcher-Packer your baseline for "Buckboard Bacon[?]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Swadly,

I use the BuckBoard Bacon directions for my baseline.  However when you put on your cure-use only the amount the directions say to use.  More is not better in this case.  Typically you will have to way out the amount of cure to the weight of the meat.  About the time, BBB says to cure it for 14 days and turn the meat half way through, I think that should be you minimum.  I usually go for about 28 days, a little more intence flavor especially with the maple cure, it's flavoring is not as strong as the BBB.  HTH let us know if we can help with anything else.

When you buy your cure from Butcher-Packer, the directions on weight is on the web site from the page you ordered it from.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

curttate

<br />Swadly,

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

MallardWacker

Curt,

When I am refering to the BBB directions, I am refering to the way they go about smoking (times & temps) the meat after curing.  When you use the curing agent/salt mixture, I use the amounts the makers of that particular mix tells me to.  The amount is different between BBB and Butcher-Packer.  As far as the length of time for curing, I beleive what is mention in the BBB method, is 14 days, tjis would be my minimum.  I ussually go 21-28 days.  HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

curttate

What is BuckBoard Bacon[?]  Is it cured in a brine or is a dry rub used[?]  Where would I find directions for using BuckBoard Bacon[?]   I bought a ten pound whole boneless pork loin today and I to figure out what process I should use to get some real good canacian bacon that is not too salty.  Thanks.
<br />Swadly,

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

pedally

If you go up to the top of the page and hit "search" and put "Buckboard Bacon" in, it will bring up alot of threads about the subject.  It is a very interesting read, as is all past topics.  You may want to just sit down sometime and read the past threads.  I know I've learned <u>ALOT!!</u>

ChefBill

As "The Duck Annihilater" stated about not pouring off the liquid that formed, I had an idea.
I wanted to do some pork loins for Canadian Bacon so I thought about rubbing them down with the cure and putting them in a vacuum seal bag... [:0]
<font color="red">Here's my idea</font id="red">, I have one the sealers that you can seal at any point without pulling a vacuum on it. This would let you turn and "Massage" it any time along the way during the cure time.
<font color="red">Also</font id="red">, it would be a lot easier to find a place in the fridge for it. You could move it from one shelf to another without having to avoid spilling anything OR make room for it to fit... What do you think Duck Man??[?]

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

headgames

<font size="4">A little late with this post but just a word on BUTCHER&PACKER .COM  MY #1  SUPPLIER  AWSOME SERVICE . HAD some breakage on a order they reshipped at the ring of the phone. buy all my spices by the pound from them .. what a deal compared to any place else I have found .. the funniest purchase was ..... CHIVES . do you truely have any idea how large a 1 pound package is of  DRIED CHIVES . lmao. probably set for life </font id="size4">

If ya go home hungry.........You were at the WRONG HOUSE !
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!