-20F = Boudin Sausage

Started by iceman, January 06, 2012, 02:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Well the temps are way down and the snow is deep so I guess none smoked sausage was in order. We were craving something different and I thought Cajun was the route to go.
White Boudin Chicot from the Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cuisine that Sonny sent me sounded like just the ticket. Ann didn't want it stuffed in casing cause she likes to fry it up and mix it with scrambled eggs in the morning.
Thanks again for the wonderful book Sonny. We use the heck out of it!  ;D

Here's some of the mixings.

In the pot with spices for a long simmer.

Ready to mix all up.

Mixed and seasoned.

Frying up a test batch.

It turned out just right for heat and flavor.  :D Kinda warms ya up on a cold winter day.  ;)

SouthernSmoked

Dang Iceman, That really looks awesome!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

ghost9mm

Dang it sure looks super good, be watchin...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

NePaSmoKer

Sure does.

I would like to take a drive and try em but when you said snow is deep, i lost interest in the drive  :o

squirtthecat

seemore

Wow Iceman that looks good. care to share the recipe
seemore

KyNola

Dang Ice, that looks really good. :)

Sailor

Looks pretty dog gone good to me.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

ratherbboating

Iceman, like seemore, care to share the recipe?  My wife likes Boudin and the last batch made, most is still sitting in the freezer, not that good to me.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

iceman

Here is a basic starter recipe. Tweak it any way you like.  ;D
It's an aquired taste for most.

White Boudin Chicot

Ingredients:
2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 stalk of celery, diced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, chopped
1/2 pound chicken livers or fresh pork liver if you can get it
2 cups cooked rice
2 jalapenos, seeds and stems removed, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
2 green onions, chopped (green part only)
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
Salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste

Method:
Place the pork shoulder, celery, onion, garlic and bell pepper into a large pot. Cover with 2 inches of water, bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour. After an hour, add the chicken liver to the pot and continue to cook for 45 more minutes or until the pork is tender.

Strain the meat and vegetables, reserving the liquid. Finely dice the meat and vegetables with a knife, in a food processor or in a meat grinder set for a coarse grind. Once diced, place meat and vegetables in a bowl.

Add to the bowl the cooked rice, jalapenos, thyme, oregano, paprika, green onions and parsley. Stir in 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and combine until the filling is moist and slightly sticky. If it appears too dry, add more of the reserved liquid. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt, pepper and cayenne.

To make boudin sausage, stuff into casing (see below for instructions) and then poach in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Alternatively, you can either serve the filling as a dressing, fry in a pan or you can roll it into walnut-sized balls, dip into finely crushed crackers and fry in 350 degree oil for 2 minutes or until brown to make boudin balls.

Yield: about 12 sausages or 5 cups of filling

Note: If you have any concerns about cooking the chicken or pork livers in the pork pot, by all means you can cook the livers separately, and then mix them with the cooked pork and other pot vegetables when you dice them or run them through the food processor.

How to stuff sausage

What you'll need:
4 feet of hog casing, sized 32/35mm
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
A sausage stuffer

Method:
First, rinse the outside of the casing and then place it in a bowl of water for 30 minutes to soften. Drain the soaking water and then rinse the inside of the casing by placing one end on the kitchen faucet, turn the water on low and allow it to flow through the casing. The casing will blow up like a balloon?this is fine.

Lightly oil the stuffing horn on your sausage stuffer with vegetable oil. Tie a knot at one end of the casing. Take the other end and gently slide the entire casing onto the horn, leaving the knot plus an additional 4 inches hanging off the end of the horn.

Place the filling into the feeder and push it through until it starts to fill the casing. Go slowly at first and note that you?ll need to massage the casing as the meat goes through it so it fills the casing evenly.

Once you've filled the casing, to form links, pinch it every 5 inches and then twist it until it's secure. You can then cut the casing to form individual sausages.

Before boiling or grilling, poke holes into the casing to get rid of air bubbles and to keep the sausage from bursting.

Drac

I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

squirtthecat

Maybe a teaspoon of Soileau's?   ;D

seemore

Thank you Pat will give this a try
scott

bears fan

Yum.  Thanks for the recipe.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!