Smoked Turkey Breast

Started by PMillen, January 07, 2012, 09:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMillen

This recipe, http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?131-SMOKED-TURKEY-BREAST says "Smoke/ cook until internal temp of meat is 175*F. Approximately 4-5 hrs."  I originally didn't think it meant to smoke for the entire period, especially in light of the widely held opinion that smoking is not effective above 140* IT.  But the last photo caption, "After smoking for 5 hours" causes me to reconsider.

How long would you smoke the breast(s)?
Paul
Grill 1:  Ubiquitous Weber Kettle
Grill 2:  Gasser
OBS w/Dual Probe Auber PID
Cookshack PG-500

BroSitt

Others who know better than I may disagree, but I would only apply smoke for 2 to 3 hours depending on how strong of a flavor you want from the smoke.  I did a twelve pound turkey on Thanksgiving and only gave it 2 hours of apple smoke and it was perfect. I guess it's always your choice to experiment with more or less smoke time, depending on your desired taste, but five hours of smoke seems like a lot for turkey.

Keymaster

I would go 4 to 6 pucks or 1 hour 20 minutes to 2 hours of smoke.

KyNola

Always remember "just because you can doesn't mean you should". :)  I wouldn't smoke turkey breasts for 5 hours nor would I take the IT to 175 but if that is someone's preference, then that's how they should make it.  For me a couple hours of smoke on poultry is sufficient as poultry is pretty much a smoke sponge.  It takes smoke very well.

PMillen

Okay, thanks.  I'm thinking four bisquettes at 220*

Quote from: KyNola on January 07, 2012, 12:16:47 PM
...nor would I take the IT to 175...

Does 150*-155* seem about right?
Paul
Cookshack PG-500

squirtthecat

160-165?.   I pull at 160? and let rest tented with foil..  It'll cruise up to 165?.

Habanero Smoker

That recipe was posted when the USDA recommended 175?F, and that also must have been the original authors ideal temperature. I don't use more then 3 hours for any poultry (maybe a little more for duck). If it is only white meat I only go to 152-155?F. I don't get much carryover when I cook breast low and slow, and tent foil.

The 140?F does not refer to the internal meat temperature but the surface temperature that smoke will penetrate meat. Even when the external temperature hits 140?F, smoke will still adhere to the surface of the meat, as long as there is some moisture, but the hotter the surface the less it is able to adhere.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: PMillen on January 07, 2012, 01:05:41 PMDoes 150*-155* seem about right?

The current USDA minimum safe internal cooking temp for all poultry is 165*F.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on January 07, 2012, 05:27:54 PM
Quote from: PMillen on January 07, 2012, 01:05:41 PMDoes 150*-155* seem about right?

It's my turn to be quite this time, about USDA recommendations.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 07, 2012, 01:16:10 PM

160-165?.   I pull at 160? and let rest tented with foil..  It'll cruise up to 165?.

Ditto!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 08, 2012, 01:23:26 AM
Quote from: TedEbear on January 07, 2012, 05:27:54 PM
It's my turn to be quite this time, about USDA recommendations.  ;D
:) ;)

PMillen

Thanks for all of the replies.  I'm mulling them over.

Yes, the current USDA minimum safe internal cooking temp for all poultry is 165*F.  Most of the people I trust consider the USDA recommendations to be well on the overdone side.  I prefer the Commonly Used column in Hab's chart http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?486-Meat-When-Is-It-Done-Part-2-from-Habanero-Smoker&highlight=chart.  That's where my 150*-155* degrees came from.

I think I'll pull at 155* and adjust future smokes according to my family's comments.

As I said in my original post, "in light of the widely held opinion that smoking is not effective above 140* IT" I'll smoke the first breasts for an hour and 20 minutes and adjust from there.

Photos will be available when the results are tabulated.
Paul
Cookshack PG-500

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: PMillen on January 10, 2012, 01:18:16 PM
As I said in my original post, "in light of the widely held opinion that smoking is not effective above 140* IT" I'll smoke the first breasts for an hour and 20 minutes and adjust from there.

Photos will be available when the results are tabulated.

It is what you determine what is effective. It is generally considered that smoke penetration will not occur once the surface get around 140?F and higher, but smoke will continue at adhere to the surface adding additional flavor and if continued it may add too much smoke flavor. Even under the most ideal conditions, you will not get smoke penetration more then around 3/8-inch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

PMillen

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 07, 2012, 01:27:00 PM
The 140?F does not refer to the internal meat temperature but the surface temperature that smoke will penetrate meat. Even when the external temperature hits 140?F, smoke will still adhere to the surface of the meat, as long as there is some moisture, but the hotter the surface the less it is able to adhere.

Hab, I misread this when I first read it and I thought  that you had misread my post.  I came back today to review the series and found my mistake.  I suspect that, somewhere in the forums I monitor, someone has posted that it's at 140* IT that smoking is ineffective.  (Or, I misread that, too.)

I appreciate your patient coaching.
Paul
Cookshack PG-500

Habanero Smoker

That is what a forum is for; dialog. Though often I'm in a hurry, and don't take enough time to fully explain.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.