Pat's Cold Smoker Box is Nearly Done (Just Need to Paint)

Started by anderson5420, January 07, 2012, 01:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anderson5420

It is working fine, I just need to bring my hi-temp black BBQ paint down from Birch Bay to paint the sucker! It drafts really well.

It is an OLD metal file box that has been moved from house to house and has probably been down in the basement in Fall City since we moved here in 1985.    I used a jig saw to cut the hole in the top, and tin snips to cut the opening on the side for the smoke generator.  The water bowl just barely fits in the box but it does fit.  The box is 10" x 12.5" and 10" high.

There is a collar in the Bradley and one in the cold smoke box, big hose clamps hold the dryer hose. 

Been running for an hour or so now (empty cabinet unfortunately!), and cabinet temp per the Ranco is 66 degrees - not going to melt the smoked cheese anymore!

Unfortunately I am still having issues with the pucks not advancing, at least not reliably.  Guess I will call Bradley customer service. In the meantime, this will work fine with a hotplate, small pan and dampened sawdust - but I bought the Bradley for the smoke generator, so NEED to get it working!

So many recipes, so little time!

mwilliams7967

Unsure if you checked or not, sorry if you did.  I just had this problem an hour ago.  I opened the generator and found a loose connection.  The white braided wire or (at the plastic connecter leading) to the puck advance.

anderson5420

Yes, I had opened it up a week or two ago, cleaned out the wood chips, lubed the pivot points and checked the wires.  Guess I will check again...

Quote from: mwilliams7967 on January 07, 2012, 04:39:02 PM
Unsure if you checked or not, sorry if you did.  I just had this problem an hour ago.  I opened the generator and found a loose connection.  The white braided wire or (at the plastic connecter leading) to the puck advance.

Keymaster

anderson5420

I was ready to give the cardboard box method a try when I spotted this box in the basement! I am not real good with tools, but his required minimal fabrication skills, and I think I am going to be very happy with it!

Quote from: Keymaster on January 09, 2012, 04:49:38 PM
Good idea on the cold smoker box Pat!!!