Finger Meat

Started by sdcaller, January 08, 2012, 05:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdcaller

Where I live in Ontario, my local supermarket sells "finger meat".
It is the meat from between beef rib bones. Pure meat, no bones.
I did my first smoke this weekend in my new Bradley and did beef short ribs.
Turned out well(see my post under Introduce Yourself).
My only disappointment was the size of the bones in the ribs.
I think the "finger meat" would be better value for money.
Has anyone ever smoked "finger meat"? What recipe?
Look forward to your input.
Thanks
SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

mikecorn.1

Sorry, never heard of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

devo

Sounds almost like stewing meat to me. You could do a batch of Muebe nuggets. Just do a seach for Muebe nuggets.

jiggerjams

I think the finger meat advertised is the meat from beef back ribs. Not sure though. If it is it would be good for suasage making also.

Habanero Smoker

It depends on the difference in cost per pound. If finger meat is just boneless beef ribs, for my preference I like to smoke/cook them with the bone. I feel the bone adds flavor to the meat, and in this case may prevent some drying of the meat. When I smoke/cook beef ribs I just use salt and pepper and cook until tender. Insert a toothpick or skewer and if it slide in without resistance they are done.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sdcaller

Well, I bought 4lbs of "finger meat" and I plan to do it tomorrow.

It was vac packed, and when I opened it, it looks like real good meat from between the beef rib bones and the skin/parchment on the back had been removed before they cut it.
I have dry rubbed it  and it is in the fridge until morning.
I plan to smoke it with mesquite for 2 hours at 200 degrees and then cook for another 4 hours at 200 degrees and baste every hour.

Probably FTC for 2 hours after that.

I'll post the results,
SDC

sdcaller

Well, I did my "finger meat" yesterday and I'm not sure I would do it again.
I smoked it for 2 hours at 200 degrees and cooked it for 3 more hours at 200 degrees and kept basting it every hour. Then FTC for 3 hours.

It looked great and tasted great, but was somewhat "chewy/tough".
I suspect this is eat from older/larger cattle.

Anyway, if you don't try, you don't know.

I tried to post pictures, but I can't figure it out.

SDC

Habanero Smoker

I would consider these boneless short ribs, and when I smoke/cook short ribs they take longer than spare ribs. I also use a temperature of 212 - 225°F. So you may need to cook them longer, at a higher temperature, and/or after applying smoke braise them until they are tender.

The following link may be helpful in posting pictures:
Posting Pictures

I
         don't
                   inhale.

sdcaller

Hey Habanero
Thanks for your comments.
I have some of the smoked FM left and I'm going to braise it and see what happens.
Thanks for the info re pics. I was trying to use Picasa, but couldn't seem to get it to work.
SDC

Smokeville

That finger meat is sold in Chinese or other Oriental markets and I think they are labeled intercostals. I'll check that out. (Yes, you can google it).

I have smoked them but there are better things to smoke, I think.

Rich

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: sdcaller on January 19, 2012, 08:51:39 AM
Hey Habanero
Thanks for your comments.
I have some of the smoked FM left and I'm going to braise it and see what happens.
Thanks for the info re pics. I was trying to use Picasa, but couldn't seem to get it to work.
SDC

I'm not familiar with Picasa. The manual way of posting images from a hosting site is to copy the url address of the picture, to post it in your message click on "Insert Image" Icon (it is located just below the "Bold" icon). Clicking on that icon will insert the two image codes, with the cursor in between them. Then paste the url address between the codes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

sdcaller

The smoked finger meat I had left, I braised for 2 hours today in beef broth, red wine and with some onions. I put other vegetables in after that and it made a very nice/smokey stew. Meat was nice and tender.
Live and learn.
SDC

Habanero Smoker

I'm going to keep my eye out for this. This would be much easier than short ribs, and since they remove the membrane from the back saves a major step. I could never get that back membrane off short ribs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

fishrman

SDC - try going to Imageshack.com and sign up for a free account.  You can browse your hard drive and upload images.   Once you've done that, you will be presented with a bunch of options of how you want to transfer these images.  Choose "embed images", then copy the URL that appears in the "Forum" box and paste it into your posting.  This will result in your image showing up in your post.  Suggest you do that, then choose preview and you'll see how it works.  If not, PM or email me and I'll try to help you out.

sdcaller

Hey Habanero and Fishrman
Thanks for the info re pictures.
Next time I smoke something I will take pictures and try your suggestions.
SDC