First smoke in the OBS, Couple new guy questions

Started by unklechuckles19, January 09, 2012, 06:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklechuckles19

Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys first off, for all the insight you've provided even before my purchase.  Anywho, I've got my first attempt at pulled pork in the smoker as we speak.  I picked up a picnic roast on sale yesterday at the grocery store, got her rubbed down last night and into the smoker bright and early at 6:03 this morning.  She's looking delicious already and I'm only a little under 4 hours in.  So I've got some questions for you guys, and I'm sure I'll have more as I go along but here goes:

1.  After you're done applying smoke (I've got 3.5 hours of hickory going today) do you guys shut down the smoke generator, or let it stay hot for the extra heating???

2.  I've got a Maverick 732 I'm using for temperature, works AWESOME so far.  It came with a little bracket type thing, with 2 holes in it.  I'm assuming this is so you can put the BBQ probe through it, and hook it under the rack your looking for temperature??  If not, that's what I'm using it for, and it's working out pretty well so far. 

3.  Any recommendations on gloves to use to remove everything??  Standard kitchen mitts are what I'm armed with today, but I didn't know if the experts (that's you guys) had some tips or insight into a better pair. 

4.  Also, I'm looking forward to accessories.  Second heating element, fan and PID are all in the works.  I wanted to get a few smokes under my belt so I got used to the smoker before I go messing with anything.  What else should I be looking for??  I've read about door stops, they seem like a great addition.  I'm going to store it outside, so an outside cover is on the list.  Bubba pucks for sure and frog mats are going to be ordered probably today.  Anything else I'm missing???

Thanks for the pointers guys!!  I'll make sure to start a thread with some money shot's for ya  ;)

beefmann

here we go

1) if you  have  just the  500 watt main element then yes  leave the smoke gen on
2) that bracket is exactly  what it is used for
3) I have a  high temp rubber pair that i use, Mainly because they can be cleaned easily and the fabric kind absorbs the grease  quickly and makes it harder to clean
4) accessories are as follows Pid, Second heating element or 900 watt, Bubba Pucks, Frog Mats, Extra Racks that you  can invert, also a storage cabinet.

here  is what i use

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17581

mikecorn.1

Looks like beefman has you covered. Good luck. Remember to post pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

unklechuckles19

Beefman, that's an awesome idea for a cabinet.  Looks like you just used 4" aluminum piping off the top to vent out??  Did you remove you top damper when you installed the stack???  Thanks for the tips!

beefmann

no i did not  remove the  damper,,, i  run the damper  wide open  with  just the  vent, Also i have added a fan under the vent  and above the damper  which helps  get the smoke out of the storage cabinet, so i has to close the damper to 1/3 or so just because the fan location. Actually it is 4 inch pvc with the pvc vent caps cheaper then aluminum verision

Good luck and enjoy