whole chicken on a rack or upright?

Started by chiroken, January 09, 2012, 09:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

Going to smoke a whole chicken next saturday and was wondering if there is any advantage to smoking it on one of those cone thing-a-ma-jigs rather than just flat on the rack. If on a rack, is it breast side down like roasting a turkey? And I'm going to brine it 1st with the same brine we did for our Christmas turkey - was excellent flavour in the meat. Thinking of 2 hrs of alder, it seems to be me go-to flavour of puck.

Thanks
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

La Quinta

In my opinion...stuff the chicken with aromatics and just do it on the rack...of course brine it...not sure 2 hours is enough depending on the temp you are choosing to smoke it at...

Others may chime in on the beer can chicken...but i never really thought it added much to the bird to do it vertically...again...just my opinion...I have those thingys too...gift...don't use them.

Stuff some garlic/herb butter under the skin on the breasts...does wonders!!

Habanero Smoker

I would first check to see if the chicken has already been injected with a salt or sodium phosphates. If so you can skip the brining, because it already been brined. Lately I'm seeing more chickens being injected with only water, these should be brined.

La Quinta's way works well and I use that method most of the time, but smoking/cooking vertically has some advantages, if you are not smoking/cooking anything else; because it does take up most of your cabinet space.

If you are using the wire type stands without the beer can, I find that the chicken cooks faster, and the smoke enters the cavity better; so you are cooking a little more evenly from both the inside and outside. If you use the beer can holder type, and use a beer can with some liquid and aromatics in the can, I find that it does flavor the inside of the chicken (start with a warm liquid in the can). Also if you smoke/cook the chicken vertically, I stuff a half lemon cut side down, or small potato, or small onion in the neck cavity, pull the skin over it and fasten with toothpicks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoker pete

I have those cone thing-a-ma-jigs for chickens and turkeys but I prefer to use a chicken roaster (you can pick them up for $5-$10) cause it catches all the drippings.  Keeps the OBS clean  :)  Works great!

That's a lot of drippings!!

Or you could spatchcock the chicken.  Have run tests with skin side up and or down and haven't really found any difference in the end product.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

chiroken

thanks for the info. I do have a pan that will sit on the lower rack to catch drippings as I either have to put it vertical on the cone or lay flat right on the rack.

It is grown organic by friends so it is not going to be injected. Will brine for sure.

Any recommendations on temperature to set the Bradley at? It may not get above ~ 215^ as it will be on the ski condo deck (while I'm skiing, how good is that?!) but for future reference as well.

And at your recommended temperature, any ideas on time/lb to cook?

Thanks
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

smoker pete

250ºF is what I set my PID for when cooking chicken and the vent is always wide open.  I have found that it will take me 4-5 hours to do a whole chicken with smoke being applied for the first 2 hours.  I take the thickest part of the chicken breast to 170º while most will pull at 165ºF.

If you can't go much over than 215ºF then I would have the slider all the way to the right and keep it there.  Don't be tempted to close the vent ... it will only keep the moisture in and actually lower your smoker temp.

Is the 215ºF measured using the door thermometer?  It's notorious for being 15-40º off.  I, like many, like to use the Maverick ET-732 to monitor the smoker temp and the meat temp.

chiroken

Pete,

I have a DBS so the temp I use is on the digital box. I have heard it isn't always that accurate and I've seen that it will fluctuate up and down I am assuming based on when the element kicks in. I guess I'm consistenly inaccurate. I use a digital thermometer to measure the meat IT.

Interesting that closing the vent decreases temperature??? Last time I left it open only about 3/16"-1/4" , just enough for the temperature probe to hang down through. Left it that way during the smoke as well as the rest of the cooking time. 3 racks of ribs. Outside temp. was probably just below freezing and pre-heating it (with the wood burner on) max'd out at 264^.

I am wondering if mounting a dryer vent/flange (whatever it is exactly called!) over the Bradley vent on top would make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile? Unfortunately the condo deck is on the windy side, no other options. Not really set up to have any sort of structural windbreak.

smoker pete

Unfortunately wind is your worse enemy!!  When I first started I thought keeping the vent mostly closed was the way to go but the experts on this forum set me straight.  Trust me, your need the vent at least 3/4 open or wide open to allow the moisture to escape.  Maybe you can use some kind of cardboard or piece of plywood as a temporary wind shield while you're smoking.

La Quinta

Is this a vacation? is there a patio table you can flip on its side to block the wind? Uh...how about your luggage? Or just human bodies with beverages to keep warm?  ;D

tsquared

You'll be driving them crazy on the slopes with the smell coming from the chicken, Chiroken. Just give yourself an extra hour of cooking time to allow for the wind.  Have fun at Mt. Washington.
T2 

chiroken

Quote from: La Quinta on January 11, 2012, 11:59:16 PM
Is this a vacation? is there a patio table you can flip on its side to block the wind? Uh...how about your luggage? Or just human bodies with beverages to keep warm?  ;D
We're fortunate enough to have a ski condo so we spend most weekends up there thru the winter - pick up the kids @ 2:30 on Fridays and up we go! There is a small deck that isn't big enough for tables or anything, really meant for a few deck chairs. Since I do alot of jerky (energy food for skiing!) and some candied salmon I need to be around for the day to watch over it  so I'm limited to weekends. I leave the smoker in the garage locked storage unit for the condo during the winter and wheel it up on a little dolly to the deck when needed. Get some interesting looks (at first glance people assume it's a bar fridge), and some drooling mouths, going up the elevator when they get a whiff of my well seasoned smoker! And yes, it smells pretty good around the building when I've got something on the go!!! ;D ;D I guess it's lucky for everyone that we are on the top floor so it isn't as much punishment than if we were ground floor and having the smells rise through every floor!  ;)

@ T2: I guess you'll know how to find me if you're ever up this way skiing/boarding! Follow your nose  :D