Author Topic: Cook without smoke  (Read 6664 times)

Offline purecharger

Cook without smoke
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:24:20 am »
I'm very close to purchasing a Bradley portable propane smoker, which would be perfect for my downtown condo patio. That it requires Bradley smoke pucks is giving me pause though, since I'm not too hot on the idea of having to buy a proprietary heat source to use my smoker. I've been looking for more information and can't find a definitive answer to my question: does the propane smoker provide heat in the absence of a wood puck? I've look at the user manual and I'm hoping that the burner will provide heat without a puck.

Thanks!!

Offline Quarlow

• Member Extraordinaire
  • Is Y'all one word or two?
Re: Cook without smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:04:53 pm »
Yes it does but then why buy a smoker and not a slow cooker or dehydrator? What are you wanting to do with it if you aren't going to smoke stuff?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:29:47 pm by Quarlow »
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Offline Quarlow

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:23:28 pm »
If you are worried about the price, well the bisquettes work out to about .65 to .75 cents each and you will mostly only smoke stuff for one to two hrs. Along smoke is 4 hrs. When I say a long smoke is 1 to 2 hrs this means the amount of smoke you put to your food. It may take 6 to 10 hrs to finish but you don't smoke it that long. This is what as known as Smoke/cook. Smoke for 2 hrs. and cook for 4 more or whatever is required. Salmon gets 1 1/2 hrs of smoke and then another about 6 hrs to finish cooking. Pork butts for making pulled pork get 4 or 5 hrs smoke and then 16 to 24 more hrs. cooking. So when you look at it the cost of smoking is not that high. .75 cents x 3 per hour x 2 hours is $4.50, .75 cents x 3 per hour x 5 hours is $11.25. Not really that much when you think about the amount of food you get for those hours. My last batch of smoked salmon was 28 lbs with 2,5 hrs smoke, that works out to .40 cents a lb. I did a 9 lb. pork butt with 5 hours smoke which yielded around 6.5 lbs when done so the cost was $1.73 per lb. Seems cheap to me and easy too. With the Bradley smoker you load the amount of bisquettes you want, 3 per hr. and that is that. You do have to watch it but you don't have to reload the sawdust tray every 20 mins. and worry about it going out on you. Simple and fun plus good food, it doesn't get any better than that.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Offline Quarlow

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:27:58 pm »
Oh I should add. You said you were in a downtown condo. They may have rules about having a open flame in which case the Bradley propane would not work. But you could go with a Bradley 4 rack original which is only about the size of one of those small beer fridges. You can stick it in a closet when not in use as I do. It is light enough to carry outside when you use it as I do and I keep it in the kitchen closet. Just food for a thought. I know my uncle was not allowed to have the propane one at his condo.

OBS
BBQ

Offline Quarlow

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:36:59 pm »
Oh yeah I forgot, Welcome to the forum. This a great place. The folks here are so help full and the comradery is tremendous. They have get togethers called smokeout's and members travel all over to attend. We also have for 3 years now had a xmas gift exchange which is a blast. You can find that post here (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=25656.msg308168#msg308168) to see all the great gifts that were exchange all over North America. So far we haven't had any oversea's participants but it will happen one year I am sure. And we have many overseas members too from around the world. So enjoy the forum and ask questions, you will get answers.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:40:39 pm by Quarlow »

OBS
BBQ

Offline purecharger

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 03:51:58 pm »
Quarlow, thanks for the replies! I think you've answered my question, and part of the reason I asked is for what you've written about only part of the overall cooking time requiring smoke. If I'm cooking something for say, 10 hours and only want part of that to be smoke, are you saying that once the bisquettes have smoked off, the propane provides the heat source without smoke from the briquettes?

Luckily my condo HOA is lenient and we are allowed barbecues and things like the smoker. In fact, I have a Weber Genesis E320 outside already. Good to know about the 4 rack original, I hadn't considered it. And again, thanks for the price breakdown.

I've already seen the value of this forum, and it looks like a great community!! One little observation though, this forum has more stringent security than my banking website!! captcha plus a word question just to post is curious...

Offline GusRobin

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 03:55:17 pm »
that is just until you post a number of times. I would just go and make some posts until you reach the magic number. (Don't remember what it is) . Yeah it is a pain but we have very few spammers.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Offline Quarlow

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:26:40 pm »
Quarlow, thanks for the replies! I think you've answered my question, and part of the reason I asked is for what you've written about only part of the overall cooking time requiring smoke. If I'm cooking something for say, 10 hours and only want part of that to be smoke, are you saying that once the bisquettes have smoked off, the propane provides the heat source without smoke from the briquettes? Yes this is the case.

Luckily my condo HOA is lenient and we are allowed barbecues and things like the smoker. In fact, I have a Weber Genesis E320 outside already. Good to know about the 4 rack original, I hadn't considered it. And again, thanks for the price breakdown. If you are not using it for camping or travel you would be better off with a OBS or even a DBS. They are much more efficient and versatile for home use. If your deck is fairly dry you could even leave it outside and just bring in the smoke generator(SG) if it is secure of course.

I've already seen the value of this forum, and it looks like a great community!! One little observation though, this forum has more stringent security than my banking website!! captcha plus a word question just to post is curious...
This is a great forum and you will love this place easily. It has been slow over the holidays but a bunch of us generally get in the chatroom on Tuesday evening and tease and badger eacn other and just talk about anything. These folks are really like family in a very short time. If you decide to go for a DBS or OBS, there are several models. Just ask here and we can help you figure out what is best for you. If you are going to do this and not that then you want that one or this one. There are variables.

OBS
BBQ

Offline purecharger

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 07:39:01 am »
This is a great forum and you will love this place easily. It has been slow over the holidays but a bunch of us generally get in the chatroom on Tuesday evening and tease and badger eacn other and just talk about anything. These folks are really like family in a very short time. If you decide to go for a DBS or OBS, there are several models. Just ask here and we can help you figure out what is best for you. If you are going to do this and not that then you want that one or this one. There are variables.

The low price of the portable smoker is mainly what attracted me to it. I've recently gotten into sausage making, and have only made fresh sausage batches so far. I really want to get into the smoked sausages, both cold and hot, and I imagine that will be my main use of the smoker to start with. Beyond that, ribs would be a frequent project, with an occasional pork butt or brisket.  I'm usually cooking for 5 people or less though, and usually just for myself and my freezer, so I dont think I'd be doing those big cuts too often. Is that enough information to give me a suggestion on which smoker would fit?

Offline FLBentRider

• Member Extraordinaire
    • My Weather conditions
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 07:59:02 am »
I have a Bradley propane smoker (or two) and I think you will find that the (precise) temperature control you need for smoking sausages is not there.

It is great for hot smoking, and you do not need to use bisquettes if you are not applying smoke.

Let me clarify a little:

When I say "hot smoking" I am talking about temperatures over 200F - typically 225-250F - you can use fresh sausage or sausage with cure in it, These temperatures will render out some fat.

For what we refer to as "smoked sausage" we are talking about sausage that has the appropriate amount of cure #1 in it, and they are typically dried for a period @ 120F, then smoke is applied and the smoker temp is ramped up to a max of 170F. An Internal temperature of 152F is usually the "done" point. This method results in a sausage that the fat has not rendered out, and is safe to eat at that point, sliced cold and on a cracker if desired.

I would not want to attempt the latter method on a Bradley propane smoker, although I'm sure it could be done with a lot of smoker-sitting and adjusting the temperature.

OTOH, Pork butt, Beef brisket, and ribs are great on the BPS, since they are not sensitive to temp swings and a fat-out.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Offline purecharger

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 08:05:36 am »
I have a Bradley propane smoker (or two) and I think you will find that the (precise) temperature control you need for smoking sausages is not there.

It is great for hot smoking, and you do not need to use bisquettes if you are not applying smoke.

Let me clarify a little:

When I say "hot smoking" I am talking about temperatures over 200F - typically 225-250F - you can use fresh sausage or sausage with cure in it, These temperatures will render out some fat.

I think that I would not be happy then with the propane smoker as my only smoker, very good to know! I definitely want the ability to cold smoke too.

Offline viper125

• Member Extraordinaire
  • My post is entirely my opinion and thoughts.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 05:32:12 pm »
Personally I wouldn't try withe the electric  Bradley or any other brand with out a PID or some type controller. Really hard to hold close temps in any under certain conditions and sausage I think needs that. Unless you want to stand there and regulate your self.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Offline Quarlow

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 07:40:19 am »
Purecharger, I think the best answer for you is to save your pennies and get and OBS 4 rack. This will do what you need to do for the least money. And it can successfully be done, but sausage you have to watch closely for the temp swings. The Bradleys have a fairly large temp swing to them as does the oven in your home stove. This is bad for sausage. For sausage you would be very wise to purchase a PID which is a very tight temp controller. Like 1 or 2 degrees as opposed to 25 to 30 degrees without it. The price of a OBS and single probe PID is about the same as a DBS 6 rack. Although a 6 rack is nice for the extra height  when doing sausage, you have to look at the price. You will just have to make shorter sausages so they are not too close to the heat element. I know you are now looking at a fair chunk of change compared to the $99 or so  for the propane model but you just can't get away from it to be happy. And you would not be happy. The propane model is meant for camping and traveling. You won't find another smoker that will do the same job as the Bradley for the money either. You could get a OBS and then add the PID later which would make it an easier pill to swallow. But for serious sausage you would be more successful with the PID.

OBS
BBQ

Offline purecharger

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 04:46:33 pm »
Thanks Quarlow. Pretty sure that I'll be getting an the Original smoker, your and other's comments have given good info and you're right, the propane smoker wouldn't suit me.

Offline Quarlow

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »
You mean I got all long winded and you already decided. Shheeesh. And I necer get longwinded,ever, ever. ::)

OBS
BBQ