Beef Pepperino

Started by ratherbboating, January 14, 2012, 05:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratherbboating

My first batch of pepperoni.
This was my first try at making semi-dry pepperoni.   Made a 5lb batch using Rytek Kutas recipe (which I followed closely). 

Mixed it all up.

Then I stuffed into largest collagen casings I had.  (Somebody asked how people mount their grinder in the kitchen; this is how I mount mine.  Using a thick cutting board, bolts and C-clamps.)

Into the smoker (no smoke) until IT was 150.

Then into a cold bath.  To "age", I put the links into a zip lock bag and store in the refrigerator for 6 days.
Now for the money shot:

While I was putting it into sealed bags to freeze, one of the sticks got eaten.  It had an outstanding taste and flavor, but it tastes more like salami than pepperoni. It was really good on crackers and cheese.   I will be making this again (10 lbs), but next time will increase the salt and use some pork (and maybe some cracked mustard seed).
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Tenpoint5

Thats why it is so much fun making sausage. You can always change things the next time and make it your own. Looks pretty good. I don't have to tell you that there is a reason they call it a grinder and not a stuffer!! ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!