Making up some venison SS

Started by Drac, January 16, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac

Hi all,

Buddy is bringing me 10+lb of bambi burger tomorrow.  Planning to do some regular, jalopeno & cheese on a couple pounds, some snack sticks and maybe some ground meat jerky.

Last time I did this I mixed in some butt for fat but didn't have enough so I added some beef fat trimming (pure fat) and I liked the flavor better than when I did just the butt.  The butcher will give me free beef fat trimmings when I pick other stuff up. 

Anyone ever substitute pure beef fat in?  Does it need to be adjusted?  Is it to strong a flavor for using just it?

Also I have some jalopeno powder but fresh is fairly easy to get here.  Is one better than the other? 

Last questions of the bunch.  I know you can use a regular cheese instead of the high temp but what would you guys who've done this recommend?  Diced into 1/8"?

Thxs,
Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Keymaster

Pork back fat is usually the choice for Sausages and salamis. The back fat is harder than the belly fat which smears more easily and clogs casing pores. Beef fat has a higher melting point than pork fat and that is why sometimes with beef fat you will get that coating of fat stuck to the roof of your mouth. Beef fat is more yellow than pork fat and less appealing in sausages.

I used fresh Jalepinos one time and they were crunchy, I wish I would have blanched them first.

I diced my regular cheese to quarter inch chunks and it was fine, 1/8 inch is pretty small.

Good luck!!!

devo

What Keymaster said but I would add if your going to add cheese to your snack sticks the 1/4 will be a bit big to get into those small casings.

Drac

Thanks.  Got a butt for fat.  Did have to order some supplies so I did order some high temp cheese to give a try. 

I have some smoked hatch peppers in the freezer to use.

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories