Smoked salmon without skin

Started by Skyhawk, January 16, 2012, 02:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyhawk

Does it make that big a difference if there's no skin on the filets of salmon when using Spyguy's two-step curing process?  How would this affect smoking and curing time for example?  Mine over the weekend turned out edible, but on the salty and overly smokey side (3 hours apple).  Plus they were thin filets (pink salmon!), so obviously that had a lot to do with it as well.  What would be the minimum thickness to get a consistent result using this method?  And I assume that folks don't include the thinner tail end?

I should also mention it was the first time I ever used my Bradley smoker... so yes, there's another factor!  :P

Habanero Smoker

I use skinless farmed raised Atlantic salmon, and use the recipe as stated (using the lower times). I do include the tail end, but use less time for the dry brining period.

First I need to ask if you are using kosher (Morton's brand), or did you substitute another salt, and if you used a different salt how much did you use?

If your salmon is thin, you should cut down on the brine times, especially in the first step. So if they came out salty, use a time lower then 7 hours. Also you may have to refresh more then 30 minutes, so after every thirty minutes of refreshing taste, and if too salty keep refreshing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Skyhawk

Thanks Habanero Smoker.  I substituted "Sifto Coarse (pickling) Salt".  Since I was only doing 2 pounds of fish, I used 1/2 pound of salt for the dry cure.  For the brine, I followed the "Mary Veithurst" recipe for the smaller amount that was on the same web page.

Habanero Smoker

I was just wondering if you used a smaller grain salt, but using another coarse salt would not increase the saltiness.

I don't make much at a time and I also use Mary's recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Georgia Chad

No intent to thread jack here.

I made my very first batch yesterday, using the same recipe.  It turned way better than I expected (for my very first time)!  I used skin-on farm raised Salmon.  It read it was sourced from Chile. 

The only thing that I was kind of indecisive on was the Alder.  That was the first time I had ever used it.  I dont think I really care for the flavor.  It didnt seem "mild" at all.  I only smoked the fillets for 1:20 and they had a strong smoke "bite" to them.  Now, I did do a small taste test immediately after they came out of the smoker, so I am guessing the smoke should settle after resting over night.

Mine was not too salty at all.  Lots of "salmon" flavor in the meat.  Unfortunately, I ddint have any bagels, capers, or cream cheese at the house this morning.  That was the biggest mistake!  :'(

Habanero Smoker

All this talk about cold smoke salmon; I'm going to have to make a batch real soon.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.