Temperature Sensor Max

Started by ddtdustin, March 24, 2013, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddtdustin

All
I was reading the "Topic: Max. Temp. of OBS" and I see the max temperature is 320F however the KSD301 Thermostat is rated at 120C (248F).  I know Bradley has reduced the spec to 250F but can anyone explain where the 320F came from?  I would like to add the dual element mod and an Auber PID controller to my OBS (purchased around Nov 09).  I also looked at the amp rating on the switch (16A at 125V) and believe both elements (1000W at 120V, 8.34A) could run on the single switch.  Has anyone tried this? 
Thanks
DDT

Habanero Smoker

Hi ddtdustin;

Welcome to the forum

I asked Brian back in 2011, when I was updating the FAQ section on the recipe site; and to get clarification on the different maximum temperature levels. To answer your question about the maximum temperature, if your smoker is new (manufactured shortly after the digitals hit the market) your maximum temperature will average around 280°F before the temperature sensor will trip. The sensor is set for 250°, but has a 20 - 50 degree tolerance so it could stay on for as high as 300°F of shut off as low as 270°F.

The older models could reach as high as 320°F, before the sensor would shut it down. My thought is when Bradley redesigned the sensor, they did not correct the manual or web site for some time and it indicated the maximum temperature to still be 320°F.

So if you stay under 280°F (270°F to play it a little safer)you will not trip the high temperature sensor. From my experience, if you cook above 250°F, dripping that hit the drip tray can produce a burnt taste in your food. If you want to cook higher then 250°F, place a pan a rack below the food to catch the dripping before they hit the drip tray.

I have the dual element setup, and will not run it without a third party temperature device, so I haven't tried it and can't recommend it. There are a few electrician on the board. I would not advise using the temperature controller to control the heat of both elements, even if it can handle the extra amperage. That controller is a rheostat, and you would have to constantly monitor, and adjust the slider through out the cook. It doesn't take long for both elements to overheat the cabinet. A distraction for a few minutes could cause a fire.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ddtdustin

Thanks for the reply Habanero.  I know yesterday when I cleaned the SG and element my door gauge read around 300F before the sensor shut it down (OBS Unloaded and in the garage with no wind).  I was not planning on using the rheostat to controller both element but do think dual elements could share one high temperature sensor.  I plan on installing the dual elements and controlling them via the Auber PID (removing the Rheostat).  I have also purchased some higher temperature sensors but not sure about using them sense I don't want to start a big fire.  I have never removed the rear panel and checked on the insulation around the smoke box.
Thanks
DDT

Habanero Smoker

Some have set theirs up with both elements sharing the same sensor, so you can do that for extra safety.

I couldn't find the post were memembers wired to the same sensor, but I did come across a member who installed a second sensor. Below is the link if you want to take a look on how he wired his.
Adding Second Element and Sensor

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)