Tripping the GFI and Received a Shock!

Started by mfh, January 17, 2012, 06:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfh

And BTW Qaurlow...I have had lots of practice find how not to handle electricity...fortunately 120v is seldom fatal.    :-\

Quarlow

I hear you there. I have had more than my share also. I remember one time I was out till late late one night smokin stuff we won't mention. Well I was too up on cloud nine to go home so I stayed out till about 3 am so I could act normal. I finally went home but we had this one light switch that had no plate on it. When I went to shut the light off I touch the terminals. Long story short, I was back on cloud nine. Of course I yelled when it happened and woke my dad up. Busted. I should have just slept in my brothers car for the rest of the night. LOL. Goodtimes.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Alanfromwis

I realize this thread is more than a year old, but I recently started having the same problem. When I first purchased my DBS we lived in a home that didn't have a gfci on the circuit, then moved to a place that has gfci circuits. The first few smokes went well, but then gfci started tripping after about 1 1/2 to 2 hours in. So seems heat is a factor, and now has acted up on 2 straight smokes. In researching GFCI's, it seems the failure rate is quite high, by not tripping when they detect an imbalance of 5 or more milliamps between line and common.
Will do more tests and remove the gfci & try that.
Alan
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

Alanfromwis

After further evauation, determined gfi tripping was caused by current leakage from 900 watt heater element to safety ground when it became hot. All ok for an hour or more when first turned on, then gfi would trip when oven on, but ok with smoke generator only. Would also trip when oven connected direct, but ok when 3rd wire disconnected. So isolated heating element from ground with 2, 1"x1 1/2"x3/8" teflon blocks. Problem solved as it now works fine with gfi in circuit & grounded properly.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

viper125

Wonder if moisture or grease shorted it out like the probes. If there is a way to bake with out melting wires might prove interesting

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Alanfromwis

Viper,
  You may be right about moisture or grease. Hadn't thought about that. Wonder if it will dry out with element on for some hours without smoke generator on & no water pan?