Question about smoke generator

Started by shorte2326, January 19, 2012, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorte2326

I am converting an old fridge into a smoker. I bought a Bradley smoke generator. My question is my side wall of the fridge is 3 inches and Bradley says you can go up to 2 inches. What do I do? Can I just attach the plate onto the outside and attach the sleave on the inside? I already have the hole cut.

CoreyMac

So your saying the smoke generator won't go in far enough? I don't mean to suggest a complete re-do but have you considered using a cold smoke adapter to the fridge and not attaching the generator onto the side? Then you will have cold and hot smoke in one unit. That sure would solve you current problem. 

Mr Walleye

I'm assuming you also have the smoke generator adapter. The restriction to 2 inches is caused by using the inside locking collar. What I did was drill 4 holes, one in each corner of the adapter on the outside plate of the adapter. Slide it through the hole you made in the fridge, level it, and mount it with 4 screws. On the inside to seal the cabinet you will want to use high temp silicone.

Basically the only thing you are not using is the locking collar on the inside.

Hope that made sense.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Here's a picture of one I built for a friend. I couldn't use the inside locking collar on it. It's not the best picture but if you look close you will get the idea.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

shorte2326

Thanks guys! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Great picture gives a lot of new ideas too.

weedenb

Ditto on Mr Walleye's suggestion. Leave the locking collar off the inside and drill and screw the adapter plate from the outside.

shorte2326

Thats what I am going to use as a heat source. But a lot better setup than what I was planning. A great way to keep the juices off the burner but let the heat rise.

weedenb

Thanks, I would like to claim it was the result of a lot of careful thought and engineering but the truth is I was in a hurry and grabbed the nearest aluminum scraps I had laying around, zapped it together with the MiG welder and put it to work. Despite this, it has worked very well. The large aluminum plate dissipates heat very evenly without hot spots. I have close to 50cu-ft of volume to play with so there is plenty of room to spread things around without getting the meat to close to the heat source.