Dual element question

Started by Bigun, January 20, 2012, 05:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigun

I have a 6BDS controlled by a dual probe Auber PID. I have ordered the fan kit and decided while I'm at it I had might as well install the second heat element. In my searching here on the forum I have found the install write up on the SM site, but I have also found people talking about controlling one element with a switch  and not the PID. What is the benefit of this? I think it is far more likely I would forget to turn this switch off after preheat/recovery leaving me without temp control of the cabinet.Or is this for the OBS? Or is there something I'm missing?(very likely)

devo

The switch is for if you want to switch back to stock. Say if your pid breaks down than you can just keep smoking with the Bradley the way it came.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Bigun on January 20, 2012, 05:03:54 PM
I have a 6BDS controlled by a dual probe Auber PID. I have ordered the fan kit and decided while I'm at it I had might as well install the second heat element. In my searching here on the forum I have found the install write up on the SM site, but I have also found people talking about controlling one element with a switch  and not the PID. What is the benefit of this? I think it is far more likely I would forget to turn this switch off after preheat/recovery leaving me without temp control of the cabinet.Or is this for the OBS? Or is there something I'm missing?(very likely)
do you have the link to that info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Bigun

Quote from: devo on January 20, 2012, 05:08:03 PM
The switch is for if you want to switch back to stock. Say if your pid breaks down than you can just keep smoking with the Bradley the way it came.
So would the PID control both element with the switch closed, and only the original element with the switch open?

Bigun

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on January 20, 2012, 05:11:03 PM
Quote from: Bigun on January 20, 2012, 05:03:54 PM
do you have the link to that info

No I don't think I have found that one yet.

GusRobin

the PID would  control both elements. The switch  allows  you to turn the second element off if you so desire.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

Anyone know where this info is as
Far as the connection.

Mike

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

Mike

Bigun

Thanks guys, this looks simple enough, and the switches are cheap enough, this makes sense to install. I wonder why it is needed on the digital models, maybe the factory control circuitry can not handle the increased load, or maybe it is the temp. control.

Habanero Smoker

Digital owners have found, if they install a switch they have to place it on the back panel.

As for the circuitry of the digital, keep in mind it was designed to control a 500 watt element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bigun

I have installed the fan, and second element. My dual probe PID is now turning itself off intermitently with in the first few minutes of starting a program. It will come back on after I cycle the on/off switch. It did this three times, and then it worked normally for the next 18 hours. The next day, after I had the PID off for about four hours, I entered a new program and the problem started again, after 5 attempts, I gave up. I did some temp. checks after mods. were complete without problems, after I changed the "P" value from 70 to 140 this issue began.Coincidence? Any ideas? Thanks to Devo for recomending the disconnect switch on the second element or I would be dead in the water now.

Mr Walleye

Bigun

That is certainly odd. I would shoot Suyi from Auber Instruments ([email protected]) an email and see if he has any suggestions for you. He's really good at responding right away. The plug and play Aubers are all rated high enough for the dual element mode but it would certainly sound like you are having a PID problem of some kind.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bigun

Just heard back from Auber, it turned out to be a bad power switch. It sounds like the switch was on its way out, and the increased current from the second element finished it off. Auber replaced the switch with a more durable one, I assume this means higher amperage rating.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Bigun on April 03, 2012, 11:23:19 AM
Just heard back from Auber, it turned out to be a bad power switch. It sounds like the switch was on its way out, and the increased current from the second element finished it off. Auber replaced the switch with a more durable one, I assume this means higher amperage rating.

Good to hear Bigun.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes