!5lbs Of Brats With The Kirby Cannon

Started by wyrman, January 21, 2012, 06:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrman

I broke in my Kirby Cannon today with 15lbs of brats. I used seasoning from Eldons Sausage, I had a lot of issues with the hog casings, I had so many blowouts and splitting it wasn't funny. I've had these casings for a while and they might be the ones I froze a while back.

The hands free set up is the only way to go, and clean up was a breeze as advertised.

ghost9mm

May have been a bit of trouble but I think the end result is a killer batch of brats, great job...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

wyrman

Thank you ghost9mm, my wife loves them for breakfast so we'll be having some tomorrow morning.

Mr Walleye

Great job Wyrman!  8)

You'll get those casings mastered in no time.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mikecorn.1

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

wyrman

Thank you Mikecorn.1 and Mike.
Mike, I've used natural casings more than any other casing and these today had problems. lol
Like I said, I think these are the ones I froze before I knew it was bad for them. I should have thrown them out.
Greg

pikeman_95

Greg
It looks like you did a great job of getting things together. You might trying pinching the casings as they come off the stuffer in the lengths you want. The pinch gives enough space in the casing so that you can twist the link with out putting to much pressure on the casing. When you use the pinch method you can fill the casings tight and still not split them when trying to twist them. Even with the problems that you had the product sure looks great. I have some pork in the freezer that would like to be made in to some brats.

Kirby

wyrman

Thank you Kirby. I remembered the pinch method when I was trying to twist them.I think I need to make sausage more often so I don't forget the little things, and now that it got easier to stuff them I just might.
BTW, this is some of our home raised pork.

Kevin A

Brats look great, Wyrman.

When I first used the KC, I too had many blowouts. I attributed these boo-boos on my learning to regulate the flow properly.

Once I got the 'timing' down, the blow-outs diminished and things moved along greatly. Sheep casings can still a challenge due to their tenderness, but overall, I've been quite pleased using the KC for all sizes of sausage.

-Kevin

viper125

Well looks great to me! I bet they are great tasting too! Good job.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

pikeman_95

One of the way I found to reduce blowouts along with the pinch method. I use the hand supporting the link to put a little back pressure to fill the casing. I then use less pressure on the  hand releasing the casing off the stuffing tube. I have found that using the hand on the tube to control the stuffing pressure will cause more blowouts then using the hand that is supporting the link to put just a little back pressure to fill the link full. This is also the hand that I use to do the pinch.
In this video I am providing just a little back pressure to fill the casings. My right hand is just keeping more casing up to the front of the tube. The left hand supports the link and then slips up and provides the pinch and then starts filling the next link.

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/pikeman_95/A%20%20SAUSAGE%20WITH%20FRIENDS%20280%20POUNDS/?action=view&current=STUFFINGTHEGERMANFRANKS.mp4

wyrman

I had one section of casings that were really small so I made them into breakkfast links, and patties with what didn't make it into the casings.
I also cooked up some of my bacon that I made a couple of weeks ago.
They turned out great!

pikeman_95

Greg
That looks fantastic. Man I could get into that. That is one heck of a plate full.

KC

wyrman

Thank you Kirby. My wife is use to me taking pics of the food but she got a good chuckle out of me arranging these. :o
I'm fixing to put cheese in the fridge for some cold smoking. Pics later.
Greg

Sam3