First time smoking cheese. quick question

Started by Sweet35th, January 22, 2012, 07:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet35th

Ok,  I have basically used my OBS for pretty much just making jerky.  So I would never leave water in the dish....But for smoking cheese do I want to leave water in the dish for the pucks to drop into?

And does it have to be stored before a period of time being served...Or can I serve it later that night?  (My curiosity would likely not survive very long)
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

KyNola

Sweet35th

Quote from: KyNola on January 22, 2012, 08:01:53 AM
Absolutely.

Absolutely to both questions?

Did some more research and it seems like at least 21 days to age is a good idea...Cool.    Still curious about the water bowl for extinguishing the pucks though.
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

KyNola

Oops, sorry. Absolutely put water in the bowl.  Don't serve the cheese right away.  It will taste like an ashtray.  It needs to age for at least 2 weeks tightly wrapped or vac sealed.

Sweet35th

Ok thank you.    My lovely girlfriend got me a foodsaver for Christmas.  (Love it!)     Should I vacuum pack it right away after it cools down?

mikecorn.1

I've read round these parts that you should rest them for a few hours before vacuum sealing them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Sweet35th

Well its all in the smoker.     Decided to use cherry,  and have a large variety of cheeses in there.    Only going to go about 45-55min I think due to the smaller chunks I have....  Going to be hard waiting for it.

Sweet35th

Well so far everything looks good.   Just using my some generator in the OBS.   The lovely Minnesota temps are making sure the temp inside stays dead on 60 degrees.    I decided to let it buck a lil longer than 1hr.  I hope this decision is ok.

mikecorn.1

Any pics? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Scotty Dog

I did my cheese with 3 = 4 hours of smoke.  Everyone loved it after 30 days in Vac Seal bags.

watchdog56

Hey Sweet. I am from Mn. also. Did cheese this weekend and had my smoker temp around 75 for 2 hours of apple. Did not use cold smoke box because it was 24 out. Had to put a tray of ice in it but temp held steady. Have done this many times and waited 3 weeks. Cheese comes out good. I usually do ghouda, colby and pepper. Also did string cheese,pain taking them out of the wrapper but they do come out good you just have to let them stay vac. sealed for more than a month and then they are good.

Smokem up

I'm still waiting for the ash tray taste to go away. It's been a month and a half and is still terrible. Cold smoked at 40 degrees for 2.5 hrs. Did I do something wrong?

watchdog56

Was the 40 degree the inside temp of your smoker or the ambient temp? I would say wrap it up for a couple more weeks.