final question before ordering my pid

Started by hybridcx, January 12, 2012, 08:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hybridcx

so I am going to be ordering my pid tomorrow, I just wanted to make sure though that it works the same as the dual pid, in that I can set the 6 different temps, and more importantly can you set the 2 different smoke cycles? i know that I will not be able to do stop points on internal meat temps, I will be using a maverick for the IT.

also, I want to make sure the single probe can also handle the dual element mod?

I was going to do the built in smoke box Auber PID but one don't want to void the 1 year warranty as I just got the smoker and 2) i think it might be a bit more over my head wiring wise..
thanks for any help and tips,

after seeing the breakdown on setting the dual probe set up posted here i almost just got the dual probe so I could go by step by step but do not think that I need a dual prob.

Waltz

Hi Hybridcx
I assume you are talking about the single channel Auber, in which case you can set 6 different temperatures and times and let the controller run through its cycle. I am not sure what you mean about 2 different smoke cycles. Perhaps someone else will be along who can advise on that. You use the PID controller to power the smoke cabinet only, the puck burner is plugged directly into the power supply and not through the controller. The Auber can handle 1440 watts so will be OK for the additional element.
Happy smoking.

beefmann

HY,

this unit will handle the up to 10 amps at 120 volt = 1200 watts

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5

or you  can order the version with the SSR  that  will handle more wattage.  the additional costs  would be the ssr, heat  sink, wire and time to assemble

hybridcx

thanks beefman but that looks like the same one I would d have to cut into my box and am not sure I could make my way through the wiring it all up? unless its pretty basic?

and for the smoke cycle the how two on the dual probe Auber put on here said you could control the turn on and off of the auto advance making it able to smoke through say cycle 2 and 4.

GusRobin

the single probe does not control the smoke cycle. the dual gives you the ability to either operate the smoke on up to 2 cycles if you plug the smoke generator into the pid
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

hybridcx

Thanks that's the answer I was looking for. Will probably get the dual probe just for that feature

hybridcx

not trying to beat a dead horse here but what is the major advantage to the dual probe PID vs. single probe? this will be used also with a maverick, just wondering before I order I want to get the right one but not sure its worth the extra 50$ for the dual probe... just wondering if there is something i am missing thanks

FLBentRider

Quote from: hybridcx on January 20, 2012, 07:40:13 PM
not trying to beat a dead horse here but what is the major advantage to the dual probe PID vs. single probe? this will be used also with a maverick, just wondering before I order I want to get the right one but not sure its worth the extra 50$ for the dual probe... just wondering if there is something i am missing thanks

Single probe has steps by time. 250 for 4 hours, 190 for 8 hours, etc...

with the dual probe you can end a step based on a target Meat IT.

dual probe you can do things like: 250F until the Meat IT is 190F, then 190F for 8 hours.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: hybridcx on January 20, 2012, 07:40:13 PM
With the dual probe, you have the option of ramping up using temperature versus time only. You can also use it to ramp the temp down once you meat has reached you desired IT. EG, you're doing a brisket and want an IT of 195°F, once it's at that temp, you can have the Auber drop the smoker to 175°F for a time you specify to hold it. Works kind of like FTC'ing the meat.
(this info came from the faqs site)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

hybridcx

thanks for the replys I am going with the dual prob thanks again