Cold Smoked Cheese

Started by wyrman, January 22, 2012, 05:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrman

I smoked some colby, colby jack, jack, and mozarella cheese today. The temps were right around 40° and I used my homemade csg with apple chips.
They didn't seem to be taking on smoke so after approximately 4hrs I turned on the heat to 60°. I was thinking that they needed some heat to take on the smoke.

They don't show the color of the "normal" smoked cheese but they definitely took on the smoke so I'm thinking a lot of the color must be from the heat.
I will vacuum seal them in a little bit and leave them alone for a few weeks.

mikecorn.1

Nice. That's alot of cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

watchdog56

Let me know how the 4 hours of smoke turned out, I usually only go 2 hours with apple.

ghost9mm

Now the wait, about a month from now that cheese will be killer...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

NePaSmoKer

pensrock

I have smoked many hundreds of pounds of cheese over the years. It seems to me that cheese does take on more color with heat. I run mine between 85-90 F when doing cheese, with my homemade PID I have no trouble controlling the temps there. Now that temp may need lowered if doing something like cream cheese or Velvetta or any very soft cheese. But I have never melted any cheese in any of my smokers. Got a little close a couple times though.  :o
I also do not use the smoke generator to do cheese, I use either my homemade smoke daddy clone or my cold smoke box with a hot plate and wood chips. Both work very well for cheese.  :)

wyrman

Thank you everyone, I plan on leaving it for a few weeks then if it seems like it needs more then I'll do it again but I think it took on enough smoke.
pensrock, I used a homemade smoke daddy type smoke generator that I thought I had dialed in but I had a heck of a time keeping it lit.
I'm going back to the drawing board with it. >:(