Chicken Thies

Started by Angelo, May 26, 2004, 03:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Just wanted to share a recipe that turned out very good. 5 lbs. Chicken Thies, brined in 1 pt Apple Juice, 1 Beer, 1/4 cup eel sause, 1/4 cup verry chinese, splash of wershishire sause and soy sause,1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup of sugar, sprinkle of brown sugat, some chopped ginger and garlic and brine for 10 hrs. Put directly on rack skin side down let dry and spice with suzy-Q and black pepper. I smoked it for 2 1/2 hrs at 220 deg. with 5 apple pucks. The skin was exelent! and so was the meat. Im still working on a good salmon recipe but the albacore tuna will be here very soon. Then I think I will be trying to cold smoke?
Good Luck and Enjoy
Angelo

MallardWacker

Angelo,

Dude, that does sound good.  Where is the pics???

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Bassman

Angelo,
That does sound good, but what is eel sauce and verry chinese? never heard of them.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

whitetailfan

Ditto to what Bassman asked.
I'm very interested in finding a good recipe for a less expensive piece of chicken, but I'd be stumped on those two ingredients[;)]

I'm well versed on the apple juice and beer - read two year old and his Dad[:D][:D][:D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

snapper39

dito for me to, I frequent the Oriental grocery stores, in search of someting different and pride myself on being well versed in sauces. I have never heard of eel sauce or very chinese. Sounds delish though.
If anyone likes a little spice and you want to stay with a cheaper piece of meat like thighs, the best and juiciest part of the chicken in my mind. Try Jamacain Jerk chicken, most specialty grocery stores carry some form of jerk sauce or another, or you can make your own, just google "jerk recipes". The poor maroon slaves had to take the cheap pieces of meat and make them tastey and boy did they. I make this at least once per month, it is a nieghborhood favorite. Nothing better at a pool party with a little Red Stripe beer.I like the heat as well and the jerk sauce was made for smoking. In the isalnds they use "allspice" wood to smoke. I sprinkle ground "allspice" on hickory pucks. AWSOME!

Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

Angelo

Well guys the eel sause is very hard to find, I had a Japanese grocery store order it for me. If you eat susi? its the sause on the unagi. Yum! and very chineese I find at the grocery store next to the very terraki. I live in california so you may not have it in some of you areas. Trader Joes also has it.
good luck im trying a turkey breast tomorow.
and if the bites good this weekend Salmon next week!
angelo

msiler

Snap

Now there is an interesting thought... Can you taste the difference between pucks with allspice and without? That could open up a whole lot more possibilities.

When in doubt smoke it.

snapper39

For sure, I will even take a hand full of whole allspice and place it on the end of the burner during warm up. I will not advance the pucks into place until the allspice had stopped smoking. You cannot believe the flavour allspice imparts, never mind how good it smells. I have also taken a hand full of pucks and drilled four holes in them and placed whole allspice in the holes so i can get on going allspice smoke. Because of the course surface of the pucks they take spices well as the spice falls in the valleys in the pucks. Spices are all dried before they are refined in a mill so they smoke well.
Snap

MallardWacker

Snapp,

The All Spice thing, simply great.  What meats do you use it for.  Just fish???

<font color="red">Just been looking around, it seems that All Spice is used in a few of the rib rubs that I have been interested in.  I quess I answered my own question here.  I beleive I have seen whole all spice at the local WollyWorld.</font id="red">
SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Bassman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have also taken a hand full of pucks and drilled four holes in them and placed whole allspice in the holes <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Snap, where do you get whole allspice? Great Idea![8D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

MallardWacker

From my parooo-zing, (i just hate the word surfing)

<font color="blue">Jerk Marinade

<font color="red">1 tsp. ground allspice</font id="red">
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped scallions
4 scotch bonnet peppers or 6 jalapenos
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 TB. vegetable oil
1 TB. salt
pinch of garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend for 2 minutes. Pour into a jar and refrigerate until ready to use. Jerk marinade will remain good indefinitely as long as it is covered and remains refrigerated. </font id="blue">

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

snapper39

Whole allspice can be found in the spice section of most grocery stores. Believe it or not it is actually a dried pimento berry. It is probally the most important spice in the islands. The name allspice suits it because it smells and tates like cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper all in one. I buy it cheap at the local bulk food store.

If I may suggest, if you make it be careful, use only scotch bonnet peppers it is important to the taste, BUT be careful with the seeds, you will want to where gloves and be sure you wash your hands before going to the bathroom OUCH !! Use only one pepper at first and taste the sauce to see if it is hot enough, then add the second pepper. Once you go to hot you can't go back. Beware this is not a pretty looking sauce, when complete it will look like mud. It doesn't even taste that good by itself. When you marinate do it a day ahead of time and stab or "jerk" the chicken or pork butts full of holes with a fork or skinny knife. One half hour before finish smoking baste with a little more sauce. This would be a good dish to go with that pineapple thing they were talkin about on another thread.

PS Per the recipe MW was good enough to provide - add twice the allspice and add a table spoon or so of brown sugar, instead of salt use a good dose of soya sauce.

Snap

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Angelo</i>
<br />Just wanted to share a recipe that turned out very good. 5 lbs. Chicken Thies, brined in 1 pt Apple Juice, 1 Beer, 1/4 cup eel sause, 1/4 cup verry chinese, splash of wershishire sause and soy sause,1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup of sugar, sprinkle of brown sugat, some chopped ginger and garlic and brine for 10 hrs. Put directly on rack skin side down let dry and spice with suzy-Q and black pepper. I smoked it for 2 1/2 hrs at 220 deg. with 5 apple pucks. The skin was exelent! and so was the meat. Im still working on a good salmon recipe but the albacore tuna will be here very soon. Then I think I will be trying to cold smoke?
Good Luck and Enjoy
Angelo
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Angelo,
I hope you are still monitoring this forum. I came across your recipe. It looks interesting and I would like to try it out, and also post it on  http://www.susanminor.org/index2.html , but I needs some clarification. I'm still not sure what "verry chinese" is. Is it a soy sauce, or a paste, or a spice? Is it a particular brand"? Also I am not familiar with Suzy-Q, what is it?. One more question - how much ginger and garlic do you use?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sesh

I remember being curious about these names when Angelo first posted this but forgot about it.  On first guess, they struck me as brand or product names, not a type of sauce.  Angelo did not specify.  Anyway, not doing much today so I fired up Google.  Search on "Soy Vey Very Very Teriyaki".  The same company also has a Chinese marinade.  Perhaps these are what Angelo is referring to.  Couldn't find a company website, but a chain named Trader Joe's carries them.  I reckon you can substitute any brand teriyaki but I'm not sure what to use for "chinese marinade".  Maybe the standard soy sauce, rice wine (or sherry) and ginger mixture that I use on most meats before stir-frying.

Habanero Smoker

Sesch;
Thanks. For the additional information. You got further than I did. When I googled "very chinese" I was getting some weird results. I did learn one thing, Chinese Soy or Teriyaki is processed differently than the Japanese varieties. It appears that the Chinese Soy and Terriyaki is much richer. Let's hope we hear from Angelo.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)