Hot Dog Question

Started by wyrman, January 24, 2012, 06:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrman

I'm going to make some dogs this weekend for the first time. I noticed that every post I've read they get a hot water bath  to fininsh them off or a complete water bath. I was wondering if they'd turn out just as good if I just finished them off in the smoker?
I have cellulose casing on the way. Will they still peel off easy?
I can do the water bath if I need to, I just noticed that the water bath has made some of the dogs not asthetically pleasing, allthough I'm sure tasty.
I want these to look as nice as possible because I'm making these for a in-law family weenie roast.

Keymaster

I never tried to finish them off in the smoker so I dont know what the outcome would be. I think you would have a more dry looking hotdog with some shrinkage, it would look more like a dried sausage.

Sailor

When finishing sausage off in the smoker you will lose more water from the meat and therefore your sausage will tend to shrink.  I have found that by finishing in a hot water bath you preserve the water weight.  Yes, the cellulose casings will peel just fine if you finish off in the smoker.  From what I understand, commercial hot dog manufactures give their dogs a steam bath to "cook" which keeps the dogs plump.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pikeman_95

Greg
They will be more tough and a little drier if you finish in the smoker. If you finish them in the bath they will be plump and moist. You will also save lots of time. Just keep the water around 160. when you go over 170 you have a good chance of suffering fat out.
Kirby

wyrman

Water bath it is then. Thank you for the replies.

Kevin A

Only sausages I don't finish in a warm water bath are meat sticks—where an apparent 'shriveled' or somewhat dry appearance is actually a bit desirable.

-Kevin

tub o' franks.....

pikeman_95

Kevin
You just love to show that roaster to drive us nuts. Some day I am going to find one like that. I just hope it a couple of quarts larger then yours so I can make you envious.
Greg Keep your eye out for one of the larger turkey roaster. They make great water bath tools.
Kirby

wyrman

I'm at work and they block the pictures so I can't see the tub of franks. :(
I'll be here until 12:30 Thursday morning so I'll have to see them in the morning.