Anyone Tried Birch Wood

Started by JZ, January 27, 2012, 08:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

There was another member who made his bisquettes out of solid wood. He did one additional step. He drilled holes in his to improve the way they smoked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rigstar

either your in, or your in the f***ing way

JZ

Ditto

I think I will try solid pucks first though - just less effort to make them.

JZ

Verdict is in!

I have now smoked chicken twice using the solid Birch pucks and they worked perfect. Made a ton of smoke and the taste was great. The first smoke was last night with one piece of chicken (just in case there was going to be a problem or the taste wasn't good). But it worked great and the wife loved the taste so much I did a bigger batch tonight and once again everything turned out great. I used 4 pucks for each smoke. While the chicken was in the smoker I went to the shop and made about 50 pucks. It took about 40 minutes.

Looks like I will be using a lot of Birch from now on.

Here's a pic of the smoker while it was running (just to prove it happened). I guess I should have taken a pic with the door open but that would mean loosing heat and it wasn't very warm today as you can probably tell by the fresh snow in the background.

Quarlow

Sounds good John. A new flavour is always great.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.