Smoked Cheese..

Started by Sam3, January 28, 2012, 05:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam3

Well, it was time to try some smoked cheese!  ;D

Swiss, Mild Cheddar, Monteray Jack w/Jalapeno and Muenster.

All finished!

Smoked for 2 hours with Cherry and Oal pellets. Rested for two hours and then put into foodsaver bags. Time to mellow for a few weeks.  ;)

ghost9mm

You are really gonna have a great time with that cheese, I let ours set for a month we think it is better if left a little longer...jmo.
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Sam3

Quote from: ghost9mm on January 28, 2012, 06:23:51 PM
You are really gonna have a great time with that cheese, I let ours set for a month we think it is better if left a little longer...jmo.

Thanks for that. I planned on letting it sit until the 3rd week of Feb. ( my sister in laws 40th B-day).  I think I'll break out one of them though, just to see how it tastes.

SouthernSmoked

Sam, the cheese looks awesome.

I normally let the cheese set in the frig for about 4-6 weeks before sharing.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

hybridcx

looks good waiting for a cold snap here to do a batch.

curious question what is teh ideal loaf size for cold smoking 1 pound 2 pound ect.

Ka Honu

Quote from: hybridcx on January 30, 2012, 10:50:41 PM... ideal loaf size for cold smoking

I usually cut into half-pound blocks, figuring that it gives me the best balance between surface area for smoke adhesion and convenience in serving.

JZ

That looks awesome. I envy you guys south of the line --- your cheese prices (and beer) as soooooooo much cheaper than up here. I bought a lb of cheddar on sale today for $8 and the best deal I can get on 24 Buds is $38.

I noticed that you are not using the SG to produce smoke -- this is the 2nd thread that I have seen this on. What are you using for smoke and how does it work?

Batman of BBQ

Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said

SnellySmokesEm

Welp, I'm down to my last block of cheese, time to smoke some more.  Nicely done!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Sam3

Quote from: JZ on January 31, 2012, 10:19:41 PM
That looks awesome. I envy you guys south of the line --- your cheese prices (and beer) as soooooooo much cheaper than up here. I bought a lb of cheddar on sale today for $8 and the best deal I can get on 24 Buds is $38.

I noticed that you are not using the SG to produce smoke -- this is the 2nd thread that I have seen this on. What are you using for smoke and how does it work?

I'm using the AMZNPS with oak/cherry pellets.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 31, 2012, 06:02:14 AM
Quote from: hybridcx on January 30, 2012, 10:50:41 PM... ideal loaf size for cold smoking

I usually cut into half-pound blocks, figuring that it gives me the best balance between surface area for smoke adhesion and convenience in serving.

I thought about that after I made these. I'm going to go that route next time.

SnellySmokesEm

I have the A-Maze-In Smoker as well but I have only used there wood dust.  How do the pellets work in the AMS?  Is it easy to get the pellets lit?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Sam3

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on February 08, 2012, 06:12:30 AM
I have the A-Maze-In Smoker as well but I have only used there wood dust.  How do the pellets work in the AMS?  Is it easy to get the pellets lit?

You have to get a good flame going on the pellets and let it sit for 10 minutes to establish a good bed of coals. Then blow out the flame and start smoking.

Cherry wood has a hard time staying lit unless you put some oak underneath it.
That's what I did. 50 % Oak on the bottom and 50% cherry on top.

I haven't tried any apple, hickory or mesquite yet.

Salmonsmoker

Sam3,

Is the reason that you use the AMZN rather than the SG because it produces less heat?

JZ,

At $38/24 pack, maybe it's time to start brewing your own. :)
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Sam3

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on February 08, 2012, 08:16:35 AM
Sam3,

Is the reason that you use the AMZN rather than the SG because it produces less heat?

JZ,

At $38/24 pack, maybe it's time to start brewing your own. :)

Yes, I didn't need (or want) to add a bowl of ice water in the box.

It's was @40 degrees outside with a good wind and the box temp only got up to 75 degrees.