Smoked Pork beleive in may be called "Cappicola?"

Started by Dkarl, January 28, 2012, 06:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dkarl

Looking for advise on how to cold smoke pork loin

Habanero Smoker

Hi Dkarl;

Welcome to the forum. Capicola is a dry cured pork loin. I believe SamuelG. has made some. You may want to try to google it. Search for Capicola or dry cured pork loin.

I did a quick search and couldn't find any detail instructions. I believe it is very similar to lonzino.

:Lonzino

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Waltz

Here is a recipe I have had some success with. It is not smoked - just cured, although I guess it would be worth a try to see how it turns out when smoked. The quantities are in grams but it gives %ages as well so you can adapt it to whatever units you like (1000g=2.2lbs). I did not make up the recipe myself and am not sure where it came from so my apologies if anyone considers it theirs.
Coppa
Ingredient   Quantity(g)   % of Meat
Pork Coppa   800   100%
Salt ( Kosher)   30   3.75%

White Pepper   10   1.25%
Cloves   5   0.625%
Cinnamon   0.5   0.0625%
Cure #2   2   0.25%

The curing procedure is really quite simple. Crush/grind the pepper and cloves, and massage this whole mixture onto the pork collar (the coppa). Really work it into the meat. Then put the whole thing, and any of the salt and spices which fell off during the massage into a zip lock bag, get as much of the air out as possible, and put it in the fridge.

Leave it in the fridge, massaging the meat every 3 or so days, for about 10-15 days. The length of the stay in the fridge will depend on the thickness and weight of the meat. It is better to leave it too long, than not long enough, so I would go with 15 days. This one cured for 9 days.

Once cured, remove from the fridge, rinse quickly under cold water, and then dry well.

Put it in a casing of the appropriate size. I used 100mm collagen casings. Tie the coppa up, if you want using butchers knots, and then prick profusely with a toothpick while squeezing the coppa in the casing to get as much of the air out as possible. Do this especially at the 2 ends, and anywhere you see pockets of air.

Hang the coppa in your curing chamber. I hung it at 55 def. F and about 75% RH, for 57 days. Until it lost about 36% of its weight.

Once cured I like to put the item (i do with with most of them, coppa, bresaola, salame) in a ziplock bag with a damp paper towel, seal it up and put it in the fridge for a few days. This softens the really hard and dry casing and makes it much easier to peel.

Slice thinly and enjoy.
You can see what makes this piece of meat, and this salume, one of my favorites. The heavy marbling really gives the meat a lot of flavor and unctuousness. The meat really absorbs the flavors of the cure very well and every slice bursts with porky goodness.

devo

Is it sometimes called "coppa" if so here is an excellent link. If not its still an excellent link  ;D
http://mattikaarts.com/blog/charcuterie/home-cured-coppa/

3rensho

Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Dkarl

Thanks to all, looks like i have some reading to do!