Fresh Ham vs. Green Ham

Started by rcger, January 29, 2012, 04:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

I've always thought a green ham and a fresh ham were the same.  However, I read somewhere today that a green ham was actually already cured, but not cooked where a fresh ham is neither cured or cooked.  Anyone want to set me straight on this?  Thanks, in advance.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

viper125

To me fresh ham is not cooked,smoked or cured but raw. Only green ham I remember hearing about was green eggs and ham. LOL
Oh also  a ham is not a ham till cured. It is just a rear leg from a pig or fresh pork.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

rcger,

You first understanding is correct. Green ham is an old name used in some Southern areas for fresh ham. The term doesn't appear to be that common any more, so when you see here either term it means the same. Fresh ham; which is uncured and uncooked. Was it a reliable site that you got that information from?

Generally we see and purchase ham that has been cured. Cured ham can be uncooked, partially cooked, or fully cooked. The term ham is loosely use, for any cure or brined piece of pork, but ham is the name of the cut of pork that comes from the hind quarters of the pig, the leg. There is whole ham, which can be further cut into the shank, and butt (sirloin end); and sometimes part of the middle can be cut into steaks. It's called ham when the hog is being fabricated, and called fresh ham in the store. Soon I will be looking to purchase another fresh ham in early March to cure for Easter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Rich_91360

Will be ordering an uncured boneless ham - approximately 11 lb roast from Heritage Foods.  Should  I order with skin on or skin off?  Also can you provide a brine and smoke time recipe.
As there will only be 7 of us, view a whole bone in 22LB uncured ham to be a too large.

thanking you in advance.

Habanero Smoker

I always cure with the skin, and a good deal of the fat removed. I prefer to do this myself, because I like to render the fat down into lard. If the butcher will do it, let him remove the skin, if you want to render it to lard, tell him to save the skin and fat for you.

Either of the below recipes will work for you:

A Tenpoint5 Ham

Smoked Cured Ham

There are several organic farms in my area that raise beef, pigs and poultry. I may splurge this year and purchase a ham locally.

You may want to take a look at this recent post:

Smoked Cure Green Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Rich_91360

Thank you for your prompt reply, much appreciated.

once brined and then smoked how long can I hold wrapped in plastic it in the refrigerator before using.  do not want to be at a rush before easter

Habanero Smoker

I usually like to have them mellow for 1 - 2 days, before roasting and glazing. In the refrigerator, I would say not to hold them more than 7 days. If you plan on holding them longer than that, you should freeze it. If you hold it more then a couple of days, apply heavy duty aluminum foil over the plastic wrap.

I would say you can smoke it the weekend before, and be safe. Just store it in the coolest part of the refrigerator, but the problem you may have is that everything in the refrigerator will begin to smell like smoked ham. If you can vacuum seal it that would be better, or after double wrapping place it in a two gallon sealable plastic bag.

I
         don't
                   inhale.