Hot Dogs and Polish Sausage

Started by wyrman, January 29, 2012, 04:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrman

I made hot dogs and polish sausage for the first time today. I did 10lbs of dogs and 4lbs of polish and I think I put a little too much water in them and made them too tacky because they had a heck of a time pushing through the Kirby Cannon. I had to take the small tube off and go to the next size up and even then it was extremely slow going.
I smoked part of the dogs for1 1/2 hours then finished them off in  the water bath and just did a water bath with the rest of them and the polish sausage.
I will always smoke first from now on, the looks and taste is unbelievable in  the smoked ones compared to the non-smoked. I also put some high temp cheese in them.

mikecorn.1

Mike

pikeman_95

Greg
Those are big enough sausages that they should come out as fast as you can handle them. I am going to guess you have very low water pressure. Adding water to the sausage should just make them come out easier. The size of dogs in your picture should have been no problem. Have you got a way to test your water pressure? You might give me a PM and we can figure out what is not working like it should.
Kirby

wyrman

Kirby, Our pressure is fine. I just did some brats two weeks ago with no problems, and we just had our pump replaced in November. I really think it was the meat because it was extra sticky. It even stuck to the stuffer really bad when I was putting the meat in.
I literally could have walked away for a minute and come back to a couple of inches stuffed. I didn't time it but I bet it took an hour to stuff 14lbs.
I, 100% know that I did something wrong. Your stuffer worked great the first time. The hot dogs taste great also, I cooked some up on my pellet grill and they're great!

Keymaster

You did an excellent job!!! A lot of work but well worth it.

Sam3

Those look fantastic! What wood did you smoke with?

wyrman

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wyrman

Thank you everyone, I had one for lunch and it was outstanding. It was really two, I made a couple that were 10" just for the heck of it.

pikeman_95

wyrman

Sorry Kirby, I didn't have a notification on for pm's.
Just so everyone knows, i'm not bad mouthing the Kirby Cannon. I love that thing, it's the next best thing since sliced bread.  8)
It was something on my end, I just posted about my sausage making.

lumpy

Nice looking dogs Greg,
Kirby will get you in the right direction

MTFiddler

Greg,

(and Kirby) I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that the issue was not enough liquid in the meat mix as I just did a batch Saturday and Sunday and had the same problem. I was using the 23 mm collagen casings and the small tube (7/16" or 11 mm) that Kirby made and had a tough time. After mixing a little more liquid in it worked flawlessly (then I had to work at setting speed as I was able to go faster then my crew could tie them).

Great looking dogs!!!!

I wish mine had turned out that good.