Am I going to die if I eat this? cold smoked Beef

Started by fjp110, January 30, 2012, 12:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjp110

So at the store yesterday I see 2 fantastic looking bone in rib eyes.  I figure the only thing that can make these better is to cold smoke them and then grill them tomorrow.  I cold smoked them for 2 hours with apple smoke, temp was 50 -52F.  they smell and look awesome! Then I put them in the fridge over night and plan to grill them tonight for dinner. after I am comitted to the cold smoke I look online for ''dnager zone'' for beef.  the government says 40F.  Am I goning to die? if not what is  the  ''real'' danger zones for beef?

Habanero Smoker

If the 52 - 52°F was the cabinet temperature, and the steaks were handled properly in the past,  and if you refrigerated them quickly out of the smoker, you are alright. The danger zone is above 40°F and below 140°F. The maximum recommended time in the danger zone is 2 hours at room temperature (68°F). Also smoke has some antimicrobial properties that may extend the time in the danger zone a bit, but don't solely rely on that safety.

Most only cold smoke for 40 minutes to an hour.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

fjp110

ok I feel better now.  I thought I would be ok but wanted to hear it from someone else to.  I figured that a slow ride home from the store in the summer was jsut as bad.   as far as the 40 minutes . . . I may have over smoked this batch.  thank you for th quick responce.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: fjp110 on January 30, 2012, 01:28:36 PM
ok I feel better now.  I thought I would be ok but wanted to hear it from someone else to.  I figured that a slow ride home from the store in the summer was jsut as bad.   as far as the 40 minutes . . . I may have over smoked this batch.  thank you for th quick responce.

Your welcome. If you like two hours of smoke, then you should stay with that. If you find it is too smokey, just reduce the time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

fjp110

we ate it and we are still here.  the smoke was good.  it could have been less but not more.  overall it was really good.

Habanero Smoker

I glad the smoke flavor was alright. Another thing I forgot to mention. When I cold smoke steaks or chops, I move them directly from the refrigerator to the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

fjp110

that makes sense.  fridge to smoker then right to fridge.  I love having this smoker but I am still scared at times that I might kill myself by accident.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: fjp110 on February 01, 2012, 07:05:29 PM
that makes sense.  fridge to smoker then right to fridge.  I love having this smoker but I am still scared at times that I might kill myself by accident.

30 years and im still kicking   :o

viper125

Im from the old school 58 and still kicking. We unthawed meat on the counter all day even in the summer. This included chickens. Cut chicken and bread on same counter. Just as all our friends and realities did. I do not know of one case of illness or death from this. Now with all todays warnings I can't say its the best. But I still do. We also didn't wear seat belts,helmets and drank from garden hoses. Guess we were all just lucky. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mlp311

What's wrong with drinking from water hoses?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mlp311 on February 02, 2012, 07:32:05 PM
What's wrong with drinking from water hoses?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if it still pertains to today's hoses since most are made of different materials than the past, but when water remains in the hose for awhile harmful and sometime carcinogen chemicals will leak into the water. If you let the hose run for awhile to flush out the standing water, then it is safe to drink.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

viper125

Just one of the many things people say will kill us. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.