Smoke Flavor to Chilli - Other Dishes

Started by Daranator, January 30, 2012, 04:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daranator

I am making chilli that calls for ground chuck.   I was thinking about taking 2 lb chuck roast smoke for one hour the run it through the meat grinder (course grind) and brown up and add to a chilli recipe I am perfecting.  I have tasted a few dishes chilli, enchiladas ect. that have a smokey flavor and it adds an extra deimesnion of flavor but have never tried to add smoked meat myself.  Thought I would save some r&d time and see if anyone has any experience with this.   

SnellySmokesEm

I would smoke the chuck roast before you add it to the chili.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Ka Honu

I brown most meats before I braise or stew them (chili, pot roast, stew, osso buco, etc.) for just the reasons you're describing.  I find that a few chips on the grill while browning the roast gives just the right amount of smoke flavor.  I don't use ground meat for much of anything except burgers and fatties/meatloaf so don't know how I'd handle it for chili.

Habanero Smoker

Another way that I add smoke flavor to my chili and other dishes, is to apply smoke to some of the other ingredients, such as the onions, and peppers that will go into the dish. Sometimes when I have an empty rack, I will smoke the onions and peppers at that time, vacuum seal and freeze. That way I always have some on hand.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Daranator

I am going to smoke the chuck roast today with the jalapenos for one hour then put into the chilli recipe.  I hope to get the smokey flavor and not a bitter taste. 

dman4505

Haven't smoked a chuck roast for chili
But I have done a ham and used the leftovers for ham and au gratin potatoes, as well as ham and beans. Wife used the left over turkey we had for Christmas dinner for turkey and dumplings.
Adds a wonderful flavor to everything

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.