1st try at smoked salmon

Started by BrentK, May 28, 2004, 01:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrentK

Well I just took my first batch of salmon off the smoker.  I used Kummok's recipe and smoking instructions.  It tastes pretty good...but it kind of looks like jerky...quite dark, and is a bit salty and little dryer than I thought it would be.  I smoke/cooked it for 6 1/2 hours.  Smoke on for 4 hrs.

Does this sound like its supposed to come out[?] or did I maybe smoke it to long.[?][?]  

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

Cold Smoke

Brent, I've done a few batches of salmon Kummok-style and they have to date turned out really good for me. Did you follow his temp/time recommendations? It sounds like it may have overcooked some [?]. I usually end up smoking/cooking at the shorter range on his cooking times as my batches are usually 10# and under. I haven't found mine to be salty to date. Like I mentioned in an earlier post- I've been making my strips a little wider than what his recipe called for- perhaps that explains why mine has been fairly moist to date. I sounds like Kummok has a never-ending supply of fresh salmon and probably does larger batches that don't dry up quite as quickly.

I suggest trying another batch- and perhaps reducing the cooking time down some. I've found this to be a great recipe to date- just needs a little fine-tuning.

My 2 cents....

Cold Smoke

BrentK

Cold Smoke,

Thanks, "2 bits", for the input.  I did smoke it on the longer side of Kummoks recipe (about 8 hours).  Next time I'll try a little less smoke time and cut the pices a little bit bigger.  On the good side though...the saltiness of the salmon went GREAT with beer this weekend.  By the end of the night it was all gone along with the smoked chedder and swiss.  This smoking thing is going to take a little bit to get it right....but hey....that the fun of it right !!?

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

Cold Smoke

Sounds like you found the perfect beverage for it to go with. That's the way I often enjoy it too.[:D] "Like peas and carrots" I think is the way Mr. Gump put it. I've found this smoker to be the greatest gift (to myself) I ever bought. Every week I have a tough time on deciding what will be next- more bacon, chicken, turkey breast, salmon, pork butt, cheese, ham,ABTs......and I bought this thing to make jerky- now bottom of the list.

Lots of experience on this forum- just toss out the question.

Cold Smoke