Cold smoking eggs?

Started by slowpoke, January 31, 2012, 04:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Scotty-G on February 03, 2012, 09:09:51 PM
Quote from: Tater on February 03, 2012, 06:38:21 PM
It's very simple, if you want to be a hero and get asked for every special event.  Hard boil peel and cold smoke for around 2 hours or until slightly golden.  Then use the eggs to make your favorite deviled egg recipe.  Be careful!  If you do this you won't be able to get away from it for the rest of your life.  I speak from experience.

Yup - can't get away from it - we love 'em too

MikeCorn.1 - I just downloaded a recipe from the food network for deviled eggs and used smoked, hardboiled eggs
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chic-easy/classic-deviled-eggs-recipe/index.html
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

slowpoke

Talk about cold,-16c.It was so cold I had to rap the adaptor in an old hunting jacket,so the burner would get hot enough keep the bisquets burning.The max temperature inside the bradley was +38f.The eggs smoked for 2hrs.came out prefect.Golden. The salmon LOX perfect.The cheese golden and will sit for 2wks.It's hard to wait that long.I tried an egg Sun.WOW!!!!! Salt was good too.
Thanks again guys. I have pictures but don't know how to get them on here.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: slowpoke on February 06, 2012, 03:41:46 PM
Talk about cold,-16c.It was so cold I had to rap the adaptor in an old hunting jacket,so the burner would get hot enough keep the bisquets burning.The max temperature inside the bradley was +38f.The eggs smoked for 2hrs.came out prefect.Golden. The salmon LOX perfect.The cheese golden and will sit for 2wks.It's hard to wait that long.I tried an egg Sun.WOW!!!!! Salt was good too.
Thanks again guys. I have pictures but don't know how to get them on here.
How to post pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

slowpoke

Think I figured this picture thing out.lol

The jacket worked great,the bisquettes burned all up.Maybe this might help the northern smokers.

The eggs really looked and smelled good.

The blue is the out side temp.Red is inside temp.The wind chill was-18c The Rum was really flowing. ;D ;D

redherringsmoke

On the subject of smoking eggs does anyone know if its possible to cold smoke raw eggs at low temps and get a raw, smoked egg.  What I want is runny yolk with smoky flavour so I thought if I could cold smoke the egg then slow poached it it might work. Obvious concerns are whether the shell is porous enough to allow smoke to penetrate and possibly health concerns. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions which might get me that smoky, runny yolk, thanks

slowpoke

My maine concern is semonilla.The eggs I smoke are soft boiled.Shelled.Then cold smoked for 2hrs.at 34-38*F. Same temp.as your fridge.I use maple or apple smoke.I don't like a harsh smoke on my eggs. ;D I chopped up 2 eggs bagged then,and froze then for egg salad sandwiches.I pulled a bag out this Mon.and ate a sandwich today.WOW!!!!!If you soft poached the eggs,let them cool in the fridge, for a couple of hours and then cold smoke them,the yoke can't get any harder.You don't want them to go to rubber so no more than 2hrs. of smoke.Warm them up in steamer for little while and there you go.I let the fresh smoked eggs sit in the fridge for few days, lets them cure. Hope this gives you a few ideas.All the best

Tater

OOOHH, OOOHH, while we are on the subject of smoked eggs, you haven't lived until you make yourself a smoked egg salad sammich.  Simply Orgasmic!