Back From Cook Islands

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2012, 12:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

Just got back from 7 weeks on Rarotonga, in the Southern Group of the Cook Islands, so I haven't been watching Fish threads for a while. One really smart thing that I did was to take about 10 pounds of freshly smoked King salmon down with me....sure made a lot of new friends....that stuff is like have a "One World Currency"!! Really would like to get a 'Smoked salmon for Fresh Mango/Papaya' exchange established!  ;)

JZ

Welcome back and hope you had a great time. Never been to the Cook Islands - bet it was real nice.

mikeradio

I am heading to Rarotonga for 3 weeks March 17th, this will be my 3rd visit to the islands.  We just love it there.
Wow 7 weeks Kummok, I wish I could go for that long, but work gets in the way.  Where did you stay?
We found the Mona Sands and really enjoy staying there, great area for snorkeling.

Mike

beefmann

wyrman

We're planning on going to Tahiti in 1 1/2 years. I see that Rarotonga is part of the Cook Islands.
Since two of you have been there what do you think of the Cook Islands verses Tahiti?

Kummok

Mikeradio...We stayed at a private residence on the beach in Arorongi. I prefer the Titikaveka beaches but they were only a short few km away....Mona Sands is indeed a beautiful location!  Be sure to take some "smoked global currency" with you

Wyrman...Can't give you any opinion on Raro v.s. Tahiti, since I haven't (yet!) been to Tahiti...but, from what I've heard about Tahiti, I would suspect that Raro is less touristy??? There's some really nice 5 star places in Raro but, for the most part, most seemed to be high priced 3-4 star. It's pretty "rural" there to us...and being from a dinky coastal town in Alaska, that was perfect to our preferences. The people are incredible, laughing and smiling constantly, VERY friendly and welcoming...quite unlike our experiences in Hawaii. You might experience some cyclones while there...they were expecting 3 this season. Also take your mossy spray as reports of Dengue Fever were coming in from other South Pacific Islands...locals take that threat pretty seriously and they were bug-spraying faithfully while we were there.

manxman

Wow, sounds wonderful. Welcome back.  :)
Manxman

OldHickory

It sure sounds like a fun trip.  I know your smoked Salmon was a hit.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Whalebreath

Glad to hear you gave people a taste of Wild Salmon-I've seen 'Tasmanian Salmon' on menus in Fiji & Tonga but I know it's all farmed mush.

Did you do any fishing at all?

Kummok

No, but I went down to the docks to tell lies with the charter guys, Whalebreath. "Fishing" is a universal language isn't it!  ;)