maverick or a thermapen?

Started by hybridcx, February 03, 2012, 07:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hybridcx

getting ready to order my maverick and then I am hearing more and more about the thermapen, and am now wondering which one I should go with? I like the instant read of therma pen, as well as things like smoked fish and sticks being able to check multiple pieces quick. but on bigger things being able to monitor wireless with the maverick will be nice, budget won't allow both.. any one vs. the other?

KyNola

Speaking just for myself, if I can only have one I would go with the Maverick ET-732 as it is a dual probe wireless.  It has one probe to monitor the tower temp and one probe to monitor the internal temp of the meat.

Thermoworks has many different versions of instant read thermometers with many different price ranges, some as low as $20.  Do a little research on their website.  www.thermoworks.com

Ka Honu

They're different tools for different times. 

If you do mostly "grilling" kinds of things where the meat is "exposed" while cooking, Thermapen is the way to go.

If you do a lot of smoking and roasting where you need to keep track but don't have easy or frequent access to the cook (or don't want to have access - if you open the smoker or oven, you're not cooking), go with the remote.

Then save up for the other one (and, as KyNola said, there are less expensive alternatives to a Thermapen).

GusRobin

Quote from: KyNola on February 03, 2012, 07:40:51 PM
Speaking just for myself, if I can only have one I would go with the Maverick ET-732 as it is a dual probe wireless.  It has one probe to monitor the tower temp and one probe to monitor the internal temp of the meat.

Thermoworks has many different versions of instant read thermometers with many different price ranges, some as low as $20.  Do a little research on their website.  www.thermoworks.com
Ditto
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

My friend Ka Honu brings up a great point I hadn't even considered.  They indeed are different tools for different times.

That is why he is the wise old sea turtle.

Great explanation Paul.

TedEbear

Quote from: hybridcx on February 03, 2012, 07:31:18 PM
getting ready to order my maverick and then I am hearing more and more about the thermapen, and am now wondering which one I should go with?

I assume you're referring to these when using your Bradley smoker.  With the ET-732 you won't have to open the door and lose heat and smoke to check the temp.  You can monitor it from anywhere in your house or even a little bit down the street.

hybridcx

thanks for the feedback it's what I figured but wanted to make sure before I put the order in. I will go with the maverick ET-732 and then look around thermo website and see about a IR thermometer

mikecorn.1

I would go with the maverick first. IMHO. Then if you feel the need or get the itch, get the thermapen. The guys here will let everyone know
When the thermoworks website has a good deal on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Quarlow

If I can only have one, I lie like you never seen before and say sorry later. Both for me eventually. The thermapen is on the way. Next is the Maverick. Now for a good bullship story.........
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hybridcx

thaks for the info just placed my order for the auber dual pid, puck saver ring things, and the maverick. was surprised with teh order shipping was not included like most online sites but oh well looking forward to getting set up and start using.

hal4uk

Quote from: hybridcx on February 03, 2012, 09:20:43 PM
thaks for the info just placed my order for the auber dual pid, puck saver ring things, and the maverick. was surprised with teh order shipping was not included like most online sites but oh well looking forward to getting set up and start using.
The Thermapen is (in most circumstances) a luxury.  The $20 version will do the same thing, it just takes longer (only about 5-6 seconds) to get a good reading.  However, if your smoker door is open, and you are checking multiple items, that can add up to a LOT of seconds.

That said, I do have a Themapen, and I love it.  But, I wouldn't say you absolutely need one. 
Might wanna put it on your "wish list", and wait for a sale (I got mine for $69).
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

As mentioned above, Thermoworks also sells a less expensive thermocouple. So at that price, you should be able to get a Maverick, and an instant read for the same price as a Thermapen. I have a Thermapen, and the $20 Super-Fast Pocket Thermometer. The Super-Fast Pocket Thermometer works great, the only complaint I have is that it doesn't automatically shut off. They also have a few models of IR thermometers at reasonable prices.

Super-Fast Pocket Thermometer

But if you can only get one or the other, for the Bradley the Maverick ET-732 should be first on your list, but every kitchen should have an instant read.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Quarlow on February 03, 2012, 08:17:02 PM
If I can only have one, I lie like you never seen before and say sorry later. Both for me eventually. The thermapen is on the way. Next is the Maverick. Now for a good bullship story.........
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike