Good slicer at a good price?

Started by Flyboyandre, January 03, 2012, 01:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyboyandre

I'm now in the market for a new slicer after burning myself on a cheap Open Country model. Do you guys have a recommendation for a good machine at a decent price? I could do a better job with a butterknife compared to what this thing does for me  :(

squirtthecat

Chef's Choice 610 is what I have...    Got it from HSN.com for around 125 bucks. (and it came with the non-serrated blade)

I run the daylights out of mine.

Flyboyandre

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 03, 2012, 04:44:06 AM

Chef's Choice 610 is what I have...    Got it from HSN.com for around 125 bucks. (and it came with the non-serrated blade)

I run the daylights out of mine.

This boy?
http://www.amazon.com/EdgeCraft-610-Choice-Premium-Electric/dp/B0002AKCOC

squirtthecat

thirtydaZe

be sure you get one that has ball berrings opposed to bushings.

i made that mistake, mine works great, but just doesn't slide quite like it could.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Keymaster

Quote from: Flyboyandre on January 04, 2012, 04:57:31 PM
Quote from: Keymaster on January 04, 2012, 05:04:00 AM
I have this one   http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cabin/Food-Processing/Slicers%7C/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104577480/Cabelas-Pro-Series-Slicer/753400.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhome-cabin-food-processing-slicers%2F_%2FN-1101294%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104577480%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680%253Bcat104723280&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104723280%3Bcat104577480

I really don't use it as much as i thought I would, Its hard to clean but works well. wish it had a bigger blade.

Can i come to your place to slice? If i spent $300 on a slicer now i would be without a wife :)
You wouldn't want to see the looks I get from the wife when i put my slicer in her kitchen and start slicing raw meat, this emotocon resembles her >:(  I forgot to tell the wife when I ordered that slicerand it was a couple of rough weeks after that UPS guy showed up ;D All is good today ;)

bille

Well as I am in the market for a new slicer this one seems to fit the bill, in reading the product description on the amazon web site it says it comes with a serrated blade and the non serrated blade is an extra purchase. When you got it was the blade serrated or not is my question. If it is it seems I would certainly need to purchase the extra blade. :-\

weedenb

I just recently picked up a Chef's Choice 632 and love it so far. I was all set to pick up a 610 model as that seems to have the best reviews and price but I was not under spousal supervision at the time and went for the spendier one ;) Looks like the 2 really have about the same stats just some more frills on the 632. I've had a commercial 12" Univex 7512 for years and it is a truly awesome beast which can reduce a whole moose to jerky strips without breaking a sweat. The downside is that it weighs 90lbs and takes up 4sq-ft of countertop, not really something you breakout for a quick snack or dinner! I've lent it out to a friend who does lots of wild game and don't really miss it. What I really wanted was a small, quality, easy to clean unit I could keep around the kitchen and use often without much fuss. The Chef's Choice model seems to fit the bill so far and it appears there are a lot of other satisfied customers.

Univex 7512

Chefs Choice 632

Flyboyandre

LOL, i'm also drewling on the 632 and may very well head that direction myself if my wife looks the other way for a moment :)

Toker

Me, i have the chef's choice 667. Works like a charm.

bille

Well I got the 610 and ordered the non serrated blade as well, I am very happy with the unit. ;D

Flyboyandre

Quote from: bille on January 18, 2012, 07:07:39 AM
Well I got the 610 and ordered the non serrated blade as well, I am very happy with the unit. ;D

I ended up with the same unit and i have to say that im very happy with it so far. In addition to very nice cuts it also cleans up incredibly easy.

viper125

Well I have both a commercial slicer and a chief's choice 610. I use the 610 all the time and havnt used the big one since I got the 610. So much easier to clean. Oh yes and I cant get rid of the big one it was a present.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.