DBS or R2D2

Started by fishrman, February 04, 2012, 02:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishrman

Looks kinda like one of those Star Wars droids all dressed up in its new cold weather Snuggi.  My first iteration was out of a plastic coated fiberglass water heater blanket,

Worked really well, but those dang fiberglass fibers kept shedding and I didn't like the idea of them getting on the meat, so went with this design.  Velcro closures and everything!

Thus far, very happy with how it came out.  I've got an overnight smoke coming up shortly, so that'll really put it to the test!

devo

So in your pictures I see green grass and a fountain with water in it, I have to ask what are you worried about??
Try smoking in this  ::)

fishrman

Yeah Devo, the worst I really have to worry about here is high 20's/low 30's, so I've got it good.  But I found that getting the DBS up to 250F was a struggle in those temps, so hoping this solves the problem as effectively as the fiberglass monstrosity!  Oh yeah, and the grass, it is artificial ;D  Traded in my lawn mower for a leaf blower . . .

OldHickory

You probably want to look into installing a second element.  I did over a year ago and it works great.  Definitely no fiberglass.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Quarlow

Hey is that a putting green in the background? I am jealous. My mom had a townhouse which had a green. You wouldn't see me when I was there unless you came to the greens.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

fishrman

Quarlow, don't know what you are talking about *whistles innocently* 8).

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

fishrman

Old Hickory - as I sit here for the last hour waiting for the BDS to recover from me putting in four 3-pound boneless (Butterball) turkey breasts, that second heating element is looking pretty good . . .

OldHickory

The mod instructions form Mr Walleye in the Old's Place site is pretty complete and no big step for a man of your expertise.  Only a little advice from me: Stick to the wire size recommended.  Use high heat resistance connectors for your wire splice, mine are porcelain.  Message me if you have questions for me.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

fishrman

Quote from: OldHickory on February 07, 2012, 12:02:55 PM
The mod instructions form Mr Walleye in the Old's Place site is pretty complete and no big step for a man of your expertise.  Only a little advice from me: Stick to the wire size recommended.  Use high heat resistance connectors for your wire splice, mine are porcelain.  Message me if you have questions for me.
Thanks for the feedback.  I've already bookmarked the mod instructions, ordered the element and stopped by my local hardware store (where they actually have extremely knowledgeable people!) where I was able to get the high temp wire and connectors.  Now it is just a matter of the package arriving from Yard and Pool and doing the work!