Conflict is cooking times

Started by jhbanks, February 08, 2012, 07:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhbanks

I am an old hand at hot smoking but am new to the Bradley.
The recipe for the "Bradleys Famous Hot Smoked Salmon" calls for cooking (centigrade - celsius) 40-60 for 1-2 hours, 70 for 2-4 hours and 80 for 1-2 hours ie 4 to 8 hours cooking.  The Maple Cured Salmon is cooked between 65-95 for 1 to 1.5 hours.  I do not understand the differences.
In my small hot smoker I use to cook for 10 minutes an in in thichness & never new what the temprature was.  A 5kg 10lb Atlantic salmon took me 45 minutes!!!

KyNola

Welcome.

The difference is different methods produce different results.  It all depends on how you want the final product to look and more importantly, taste.  Different recipes yield different results.

jhbanks

I do not believe that is an answer.  If the two pieces of fish are cooked one for 8 hours & the other 1.5 hours even with the varying temperatures they will be dramatically different in their degree of cooking.  If one believes that salmon is cooked at internal of say 60c them one must be over or under cooked compared to the other.

KyNola

Quote from: jhbanks on February 09, 2012, 12:08:25 PM
I do not believe that is an answer.  If the two pieces of fish are cooked one for 8 hours & the other 1.5 hours even with the varying temperatures they will be dramatically different in their degree of cooking.  If one believes that salmon is cooked at internal of say 60c them one must be over or under cooked compared to the other.
Well...maybe someone will come along with an answer that you DO like.

Until then, enjoy your Bradley Smoker.

Salmonsmoker

jhbanks,

If you're smoking an 11 # Atlantic salmon in 45 min. there can't be much smoke flavor in it.

Here's my regimen for smoking salmon.

100-120 *F     2 hrs.
135-140*F      4 hrs.
175*               1-2 hrs to finish. Total time is dependent on the size of batch I'm smoking, the ambient temp where my smoker is and if there is any   wind. I don't smoke until it reaches a certain internal temp.  I test for doneness by touch. I've been smoking salmon for over 30 yrs. and this works for me. Hope this helps. SS

Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Habanero Smoker

There are a variety of ways you can smoke/cook salmon, and have an ending internal temperature of 140°F, but as KyNola all ready pointed out, the texture and flavors will be different

Often I smoke my salmon like Salmonsmoker posted; taking it out at 140°F or leaving it in longer depending on what texture I want. Many times I will smoke salmon at a higher temperatures, and top it with herbs, lemon etc; and take it out of the smoker when it reaches 140°F. Both are good, but both have totally different textures.

The 10 minute per inch is a rule I go by to judge when salmon is close to being finished when I am grilling at high temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)