Soy Vay veri veri teriyaki clone?

Started by Louie_Sausage, February 11, 2012, 06:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louie_Sausage

Hello all, I just bought a new dehydrator from Cabelas and would like to make some teriyaki beef jerky. I see a lot of members here use  Soy Vay veri veri teriyaki, I cant get the stuff here but I managed to find a clone online

http://tribes.tribe.net/vegrecipes/thread/2193266d-fe10-4560-81aa-8265c6dacae3

I'm going to try it but was just curious if anyone here has tried it and is able to compare it to the real stuff.

Thanks.

Sharne

I'm very interested to see how this turns out, it's been abit of a mission to find a supplier who will send Soy Vay over here to New Zealand, it would be so much easier if I could make my own

devo

Don't feel bad Sharne, I'm in Canada and had to order it from the states. Dam near cost me double of what it's worth  >:( for shipping.
Once my gallon jug is gone I will be trying this recipe, even if it's close it will be a lot cheaper.

Louie_Sausage

devo, I made this is it turned out really good, was a real hit at work too. If you could at some point in the future try this and let me know how it compares i would really appreciate it, mostly to satisfy my curiosity. I really hate the whole idea of paying duty fees and shipping, probably cost me less to just drive state side and pick some up on my own. I've been told that its only a couple hours to North Dakota from where I live. 

Thanks!

Sharne

The cost of this being sent to me.....

MULTI VALUE PACK! You are buying 3 packs. Each pack contains 6 units. You will receive a TOTAL PACKAGE QUANTITY of 18 combined units of Soy Vay Island Teriyaki Marinade, 20-Ounce Bottles

Items:                           NZD 117.93
Shipping & Handling:   NZD 537.38
Total Before Tax:           NZD 655.31
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:*   NZD 0.00
Order Total:                     NZD 655.31

That's right, nearly $700!! so here's hoping this clone does taste like the real thing, it will save me alot of cost and hassle, and I am very interested to hear Devo's opinion on this aswell,

standles

OUCH!  :o     

Quote from: Sharne on February 18, 2012, 07:01:15 PM
The cost of this being sent to me.....
That's right, nearly $700!! so here's hoping this clone does taste like the real thing, it will save me alot of cost and hassle, and I am very interested to hear Devo's opinion on this aswell,

mikecorn.1

Goodness!! $700 bones. That's alot of $$$$. OUCH!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

hal4uk

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on February 18, 2012, 09:23:52 PM
Goodness!! $700 bones. That's alot of $$$$. OUCH!!
UH HUH...  YIKES...

This isn't a clone for that by any means, but here's a good teriyaki "base" that anyone should have reasonably cheap access to the ingredients...
NOTE: this is just a base; use as is, or tweak away..  add garlic, ginger, whatever you like..
You'd be surprised at how good it is without tweaking.

(in "parts")
1/3 soy sauce
1/3 honey
1/3 pineapple juice

That's it.
Just heat it up so the honey mixes in...
I know it sounds simple -- and IT IS.
Steaks, chops, chicken, you name it.
Like I said --- NOT A CLONE --- just dang tasty (and not $700)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

jjmoney

Quote from: devo on February 18, 2012, 12:39:22 PM
Don't feel bad Sharne, I'm in Canada and had to order it from the states. Dam near cost me double of what it's worth  >:( for shipping.
Once my gallon jug is gone I will be trying this recipe, even if it's close it will be a lot cheaper.

Hey devo, don't you ever ship to a PO box just across the border like other guys in Thunder Bay? If you combine it with enough other things, it could be worth the drive.

devo

You have to be careful where its being shipped. If its coming from the middle or far south shipping to the boarder is not that much cheaper. I think I would have saved 20 bucks so it really is not worth it. Besides I hate going across the boarder now with the beefed up Gestapo guards working there.

jjmoney

Haha. Yeah that could be a pain. I was talking about shipping with some guys I worked with based out of TB and several of them were all about the PO box, they made it sound pretty nice. I would definitely take advantage of it if I were a little closer to the border than I am. Depending on what a guy is ordering, a lot of stuff ships free or very inexpensively in the continental 48. For one bottle of sauce though it wouldn't be worth it.

On another note, I think they have Sobeys in TB, I picked up some Kalbi sauce at my local Sobeys today that I think is pretty similar to Soy Vay, I'm giving it a shot tomorrow with some eye of round whole muscle jerky. Next stop GB. I'll try some of the mock SV at some point too, maybe use some for GB when I get around to it (I'm still a beginner smoker but I've done my share of cooking).